Honesuki or Garasuki reccomendations

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoqaVin

Reaction score
I actually am looking for a Honesuki or Garasuki, or petty good for cleaning and cutting PISMOs, since I have been delegated to this now, and I don't have a knife for this task. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Biggest thing beings edge retention first and foremost

Garasuki seems a little too big for cleaning tenders. I've done it forever with a Honesuki though. No matter the knife, it should keep a pretty decent edge if the only thing you're using it for is cleaning PSMO's(Little to no board contact)
I say go cheap first like Tojiro or something(Although I seem to remember they aren't as good as they used to be)

Owned a Tojiro honesuki for a while but was never really happy with it; felt very clunky and poorly balanced.

Replaced it with a Gesshin Ginga 150mm Stainless Wa-Honesuki from Jon two years ago and have been very pleased. Excellent fit and finish, takes a great edge and holds it well. Highly recommended. :my2cents:

Owned a Tojiro honesuki for a while but was never really happy with it; felt very clunky and poorly balanced.

Replaced it with a Gesshin Ginga 150mm Stainless Wa-Honesuki from Jon two years ago and have been very pleased. Excellent fit and finish, takes a great edge and holds it well. Highly recommended. :my2cents:

what is the steel and that one?

and Chris, what honesuki do you use?

I used a Tojiro DP(western) for like 8 years or so. I've moved on to a Marko 150mm Wa in 52100.

I used a Tojiro DP(western) for like 8 years or so. I've moved on to a Marko 150mm Wa in 52100.

I would like a custom honesuki that would be cool, might do exactly that, get a cheap one, then move to a custom

I haven't used it much yet...but the double-bevel Kochi Honesuki I picked up from JKI a couple of weeks ago has excellent FnF, a nice weight and balance, and are quite thin behind the edge. I'm expecting to enjoy it a lot...esp as a lefty ;)

I believe Ashi (Maker of Ginga series) states that he uses Swedish Stainless if it helps you.

It may or may not be. Regardless, the heat treat by the maker will play a bigger factor as to performance. If it's a similar composition and the maker knows how to use it, it will be good. Assuming Jon approves of it, it should be great!

Always love the Watanabe wa honesuki and garasuki. Something to consider.

Stefan

If you can find someone to sell one, I have a marko honesuki. It's amazing.

I'm a novice/home cook, but I recently purchased the Misono UX10 Honesuki from Korin at 15% off... I love it to bits. I am spending a lot more time with my weekly whole chickens dismembering it into more and more discrete parts and removing bones! Haha...

DSCF9776.JPG

I'm a novice/home cook, but I recently purchased the Misono UX10 Honesuki from Korin at 15% off... I love it to bits. I am spending a lot more time with my weekly whole chickens dismembering it into more and more discrete parts and removing bones! Haha...

DSCF9776.JPG
Both of those Misono look like they would do an excellent job of cleaning tenders.

I own a Takeda AS 150mm Honesuki. Its a fairly heavy and thick blade, but thats the way I like a boning knife to be. The carcasses themselves are easily quartered to fit in my stock pot.

+2
Just ordered a Watanabe honesuki yesterday

i LOVE my Fujiwara FKM honesuki. I use it all the for multiple purposes around the kitchen, sometimes as a petty. Takes a great edge, I leave it just a little toothy and it's perfect.

•Honesuki 150mm blue from pro serie but with a burnt chestnut handle

I can't tell from the pictures, is it a plastic ferrule orignally

i LOVE my Fujiwara FKM honesuki. I use it all the for multiple purposes around the kitchen, sometimes as a petty. Takes a great edge, I leave it just a little toothy and it's perfect.

I have this one too since recently. I guess it needs some sharpening as it cuts just OK. The blade geometry is good, but I find the handle too chunky (for my rather small hands) what makes the whole knife a bit too butt heavy. It is hard to beat for the price I guess though.

Warther makes some traditional and "outdoor" fishing fillet knives in S35V. I have the outdoor fishing knife in the 6" length, but they also make one with a shorter blade. It is inexpensive and worth considering. The blade is relatively stiff and more like a boning blade than a fillet knife. Not at all bad for $70, but without the leather sheath.

Back