Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Building a New Website/Webstore, any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by icanhaschzbrgr View Post
    Extra-strange stuff is what I seems to like
    Not something you will use. Just an oddity to put on the shelf and look at once in a while.
    Mark Farley / It's a Burl
    Phone 541-592-5071, Email burlsource@gmail.com
    Visit our web store

Quote Originally Posted by Burl Source View Post
    Sorry I misunderstood you guys.
    Steve, what you ask for makes sense. I will do some serious checking because that would also be a feature I also would like to use.
    Sometimes I get a phone call asking something like "do you have more wood like the dark brown piece I got 6 months ago?"
    Then I could pull up their history and see the photo and try to find something close.

I believe there are also features I can activate that determines if someone is using a mobile device and gives an alternate version of the web site.
    Awesome, glad I cleared things up regarding the sold blocks. I would love to see this happen!

-Steve

Hey Mark,

I just had another suggestion. I hope it's not too late! I was wondering if it would be possible to have an option to sort blocks by price? High-Low, or Low-High? Just a thought I forgot to put in my original suggestions.

-Steve

I am still working on things. Getting a lot closer to making the switch.
    On the category page there will be a couple sort options like you mentioned.
    Here is a screen shot. Ignore the other stuff because there are still a lot of little changes I will be making.
    Visit our web store

Awesome! Thank you Mark! I'm excited to see the new store.

-Steve

Please take a look and give your opinion

I was hoping some of you might take a moment to look and give your opinions.
    Bear in mind a lot of what is going to show up has not been corrected and won't be accurate. A lot of what is there are only place holders.
    This is a link to the practice site I am working on.

The biggest question I have is the carousel on the home page.
    I have mixed feelings myself.
    But currently my internet connection is the equivalent of dial up and it is not lagging.

Feel free to try adding things to the cart and checkout, just don't pay for anything.

Once again, any help, advice and opinions are welcomed. Thank You all for your help.
    I need to get things in order and ready to go by the end of this week.
    Visit our web store

I really like the new site. Pops of red really focus the eye, and the minimalist cart icon is a nice touch to go with the clean minimalist look of the site. I like the carousel, I think it's a nice place to showcase things, as long as it rotates quickly enough, I can really see it working. The shop by price on the lefthand side is a nice touch! All in all, the site runs smoothly, and it's a very nice update.

My only criticism, when viewing category of block in the list, I'd suggest a minimal blurb (that's located between the price and the add to cart button) to go along with the minimalist look of the site and keep it clean. Maybe just list the dimensions there with whether or not it's stabilized. Then if you'd like more info, it would be located on the individual blocks' page. And the only thing that didn't work was comparing blocks, but the site isn't finished- I just didn't know if you were aware of this or not.

Anyways, it looks great Mark

-Steve

Thank You Steve.
    My next task is what you mentioned, the way things display on the category page.
    I think it should show the title, dimensions and price.
    Then the details and description on the individual product page.
    I still need to figure out how to set up the compare feature. I thought it would be nice to be able to compare several pieces without having to click back and forth between things.

The magnifying thing on the photo on the product page annoys me, but if you click on that it gives the enlarged photo. I like that it allows you to view either photo in the enlarge window without the need to close a window and then click on the other photo.

Some of the headings are not worded correctly and will be changed.

Another thing I am going back and forth about is how the category page displays the thumbnails of the individual pieces.
    Currently I have it in list view that enables more info to show with the thumbnail photo.

The other option is a grid layout. Less info shown and I thought it could be confusing determining if the info and button if for the photo above or below. I know it is easy to figure out but I thought it could end up causing mistakes.
    Visit our web store

I personally like the look of the list style layout vs the grid style. And I agree, the compare feature would be a nice addition. I do find myself comparing blocks often, so great idea.

Will our purchase history and accounts transfer over when the layout changes? Just curious.

-Steve

Was going to send you a PM with my thoughts, but discovered that Steve already mentioned most of them

Personally I'd prefer list view with a few changes:

— move "add to cart button" to the right end of screen, and maybe make it smaller (just a cart icon?). Right now those button takes a lot of screen space, while I'm not sure lots of people would add blocks to cart right from listing page without viewing item details first. So I'd try to make this button smaller.

— upon clicking on picture in the listing I'd like to see a bigger picture without leaving listing. Just a semi-fullscreen lightbox with a bigger picture. This should help to quickly see block details on smaller screens (like mobiles or tablets).

— wood dimensions being written on separate line is a nice thing to have. This way it would be easier for me to adjust my plugin for converting inches to metrics.

oh… and there definitely got to be a special sale upon launching of new site