Quantcast
Building a New Website/Webstore, any suggestions? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Building a New Website/Webstore, any suggestions?

Steve,
    I will check on the history but I don't believe that it will. I might need to email that info to those that want it. I will be manually transferring store credits.

Anton,
    I like your suggestions. A lot of what is done is with a wysiwyg editor or selecting settings from a list. I will make what changes I can, then have tech support walk me through any html stuff.
    Mark Farley / It's a Burl
    Phone 541-592-5071, Email burlsource@gmail.com
    Visit our web store

I made some headway today in spite of a really really bad internet connection (average .40 mbps)
    Got rid of a lot of the extra junk on the pages and slightly different layout with product pages and enabled the compare feature.
    Still a lot of work to go. The ancient bog oak section is showing closer to how I will be doing the products.

Here is a link if anyone wants to take another look.

An technician is coming out tomorrow to try to fix our internet. Then I should be able to get things fixed up faster.
    Visit our web store

Looking good Mark. As per Anton's request, will the add to cart button on the group listing page be back but smaller, or have you decided to remove it?

The compare feature works well though. In the 'other' section on the comparison table, it would be cool if the wood origin could be listed -when you know it. Like the bog oak from Ukraine, when wood is from Australia, or South America, etc. You get wood from a few different places. I just like to know origins of products I buy. I just thought I had when looking at the compare table.

-Steve

Not sure if I will put the button back or not.
    I was thinking someone new to the store might think that the list page was all there was to see for that item and not like the small photo and incomplete description if it included the add button.
    I will try to be more diligent with wood origins and history when I know it.
    Visit our web store

Anton wrote a script that allows you to switch from inches to metric and back easily. (THANK YOU ANTON)
    This is how the category pages display with inches.

And when you click on mm it displays all the measurements in metric.
    Visit our web store

Thanks Anton, I'm loving the new metric conversion option! And thanks for bring the add to cart button back on the category pages Mark.

The site looks great

-Steve

I put in the request for the change with the name servers to redirect my url to the new website.
    It is propagating right now but the home page is not fully loading yet.
    Hopefully soon.
    Thank you for everyones input, advice and help.
    This new website will be a whole lot better than the old one.
    Visit our web store

I was just wondering if our accounts will transfer over to the new site, or if we'll need to make new ones? I know you mentioned that our order history won't transfer over, so I was just wondering about this.

Thanks Mark,

-Steve

All of the registered accounts have been transferred over.
    Passwords and stuff should all be the same as before. Might be good to double check though if you have a moment.
    But...if anyone has any difficulties logging into their account, send me an Email and I can help reset passwords and stuff like that.

Currently the links going to the store work. But if you type www.burlsource.us in an address bar it goes wacko. just burlsource.us without the www works fine. There was a redirect for the www done wrong that is being corrected. They said it just takes a little time to propagate with the dns thingies.
    Visit our web store

I have enabled a compare feature that will work within a category but not the whole site.
    When you are on the category page for a type of wood there will be a check box right below the add to cart button. You can select up to 4 different blocks to compare.

Then at the bottom of the page there is a "compare selected" button.

Finally it displays something like this.

There are still some unused fields and other cosmetic stuff I need to remove to make things look right.
    Visit our web store