Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a New Website/Webstore, any suggestions?

Building a New Website/Webstore, any suggestions?

A short while ago I received a notification that the company (ProStores) that hosts my web store would be closing down after the first of the year.
    I have been using them for about 5 years and have been pretty happy overall.
    There have been some minor glitches and annoyances though.

So in the coming weeks I will be building a new website / web store.
    With the new host for my store it will allow me to do a lot more than just the normal storefront.

There can be things that I might overlook that may be noticeable to you guys.
    That is why I am asking.
    Are there things about my current web store that you don't like?
    Lots of other websites I visit have little things that annoy me so that is what I want to avoid in my new site.
    Are there any features that I should make sure are included in the new website / web store?
    Any input, advice and comments from all of you will go a long way with helping me to do things better this time around.
    Mark Farley / Burl Source
    Phone 541-287-1029, Email burlsource@gmail.com
    Visit our web store

Hey Mark,

I, for one, am quite happy with the store. In terms of possible future features, my wish list is pretty minor.

1) I'd love to be able to see the dimensions of the blocks the I've purchased in my order history. Or, even better for me would be the dimensions of the blocks on my emailed order receipt along with a smaller version of the main photo of the block purchased. That way my receipt could be quite a useful reference tool for me. Right now I try taking a print screen of the page of the block that I'm buying so I can keep a digital catalogue of blocks that I own, however, with blocks in high demand (koa, rosewood burl, etc) you sometimes have to be quick to get what you want and I don't have an opportunity to (or forget to) take a print screen. Another option might be to keep the page viewable (but have the block 'sold') for a little while after the sale by clicking on a link in your order history to view the specifics of the block, rather than immediately taking it down.

2) It'd be awesome if there was a toggle to convert the dimensions into metric. I know there's a downloadable plug-in that one of our members has made, however, I run safari on my mac, or sometimes use my iPad or iPhone to purchase blocks and then it's not available. It's not too hard for me to convert, by now I know roughly what is what. It would just make things slightly easier. Tie your preference in with your registered account so when you log in the system automatically knows which units are preferred.

3) I'm not sure if it's possible, but it would be great if you could select your currency as a pre-saved selection tied into your account (similar to unit preference). It's not really a big deal since when you checkout Pay-Pal does the conversion for you and you pay in USD. CAD and USD are fairly close anyways, but I was just thinking something like this would be more useful for other international orders when conversions might not be as straightforward (I'm not too sure how much international business you do, so it might cost more to implement something like this than it's worth).

4) When viewing lists of blocks (ex. clicking 'Brand New Pieces'), it would be awesome if you could select how large you'd like the images to be (small -½ the size they are now, medium - the current size, or large - twice as large as they are now). For me it would be easier to compare blocks at a quick glance when on my computer if they were larger, and make them smaller when browsing on a cellular network, to save data.

Anyways, I don't know if this is what you're looking for in terms of feedback or not. One thing that I enjoy about the store is that it is very easy to navigate. So whatever happens, please don't change this! Like I said, this stuff would just be icing on the cake really. Not necessary at all for a functioning site, but more of a wish list of features.

-Steve

P.S. - Sorry this is so long!

+ one on the sold section.

Steve,
    This is the sort of info I was looking for.
    I will see what I can do with your suggestions.
    But.....the sold pieces remaining probably won't happen.
    To me seeing pieces I like are already sold is a disappointment.
    The new store software would allow the sold piece to remain in the store but it would look like it was available until you tried to add it to the cart. Then it would say not in stock.
    I will do some checking for apps that would do the measurement and currency conversions.

I am still in the learning phase with the new store software. There are a lot more features available than I have had in the past.
    So I will do my best to incorporate the features that are important to you guys.
    Visit our web store

I realize my point regarding sold pieces wasn't exactly clear, I didn't articulate it very well. Sorry about that.

I agree, seeing something as a shopper that I can't have would be a disappointment. Rather than keeping sold blocks in with the general inventory, I was thinking more along the lines of make the link to that specific page hidden rather than take it down completely. So say I purchased Koa block #8479, on my order history I (as the buyer) I could click on that block and have it link back to the block #8479's page (to view pics and dimensions). Similar to how it is now when a block is in your cart you can click on it and it'll take you to that blocks' page. It wouldn't remain viewable for others though in say the Koa section or anywhere else. To the general public, block #8479 would be non-existent. You'd need a link to the page (in my order history) or the URL to find it. That's what I was getting at. Not sure if this is more doable or not?

-Steve

Actually I was thinking more in line of a sold section so I can do research. Not mixed in with the general inventory.

Sorry I misunderstood you guys.
    Steve, what you ask for makes sense. I will do some serious checking because that would also be a feature I also would like to use.
    Sometimes I get a phone call asking something like "do you have more wood like the dark brown piece I got 6 months ago?"
    Then I could pull up their history and see the photo and try to find something close.

I believe there are also features I can activate that determines if someone is using a mobile device and gives an alternate version of the web site.
    Visit our web store

No, Mark, please no mobile version. If I could easily buy more wood from phone, our family's budget would be in real danger.

Quote Originally Posted by icanhaschzbrgr View Post
    No, Mark, please no mobile version. If I could easily buy more wood from phone, our family's budget would be in real danger.
    I am working on a subliminal message that you will hear whenever you are talking on your phone.
    BTW: Happy Birthday
    There is something strange/extra in your package.
    Visit our web store

Quote Originally Posted by Burl Source View Post
    I am working on a subliminal message that you will hear whenever you are talking on your phone.
    I believe something like that is already implemented on your website. 25-th frame or smth…

Quote Originally Posted by Burl Source View Post
    BTW: Happy Birthday
    There is something strange/extra in your package.
    Now I couldn't sleep till I can see that! Extra-strange stuff is what I seems to like