Quantcast
Expensive Junk
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Expensive Junk

Expensive Junk

http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/...5/IMG_0196.jpg

So I have been grinding on this damn handle all weekend trying to fix it. I give up, I just dont think I can salvage it. It has symmetry issues, its not flat, the bevels are too big, the taper is off, its a mess.The problems are subtle but big enough to qualify the handle for the trash can.

I have got 35.00 in that piece of Black Ash ,and I figure another conservative 15.00 in the ferrule, spacer, and misc. 50 bucks down the crapper. I am wondering how much junk if any you guys are producing and what you estimate your sucess rate is. I would put mine at around 70%.
    Mike

Anyone doing handles on any level is loosing some here and there. I know I've lost over $400-500 easily. I don't do wa-handles though - I bet I'd be worse at them even still. I feel your pain though man but at least you can feel better knowing that we all lose some.

Yup. It happens. At least your junk handle shows some awesome skill, if it's any consolation...
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

I just killed one yesterday that was almost done, happens all the time even after having done quite a few. Where I am 'losing' the most is on custom orders. They have to be a certain size and design, and if I mess up, it's often trash. If I just make my own designs, it's easier: When I start working on a gyuto handle and mess up the symmetry or something else, I just keep on sanding until I have it right and then call the thinner result a yanagi handle

Too bad about yours, it looks real classy and with the metal spacers I can imagine the work you put into it.

Stefan

Mike,

Any chance you could be trim it into a wa-petty handle?

Rick

That's a good idea. A petty! Just grind it down, there's a smaller handle in there somewhere.

That's an interesting point. That looks heavy though. Wouldn't the resulting knife feel like all handle with nothing attached to it?

You can hollow it out quite a bit with the right file/rasp to lose some weight, or even angle the bottom portion of the butt to lose a bit more material. Just a thought
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

that handle looks really great, regardless of the flaws, so i'd try to figure out a way to salvage it.

As long as you've given up on it you might as well send it over to me and I will dispose of it safely!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

+ Reply to Thread