Hello From Montreal Québec!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryC

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am new on the forum and discovering the world of kitchen knives (to be honest I am kinda lost!)

I am a 22 y/o cooking fanatic (not a professional chef.... and I am not planning to become one either!) and I am looking to buy my first kitchen knives. I am aiming for something that is of great quality, sturdy and versatile.... I am however totally lost.

Like I said, I want 1 or 2 great knives that will last my whole life and will do any job in my kitchen. I am familiar with makers such as Henckels/Wusthof/Shun/Miyabi and the likes but don't know how to compare them.

But I have recently discovered the Moritaka knives and was impressed by their pedigree but I fear that they might be too specialized for my need (and also I am weary of their non stainless steel blade.)

I was wondering if any of you out there might have some recommendations or cues to steer my in the right direction.

Thanks a lot,

Larry

Hey Larry If you can maybe try and take a trip up to Ottawa and go to Knifewear so you can handle a couple knives and start to see what you like. It will help you see the differences between knives when you get to see side by side comparison.

Hey Larry If you can maybe try and take a trip up to Ottawa and go to Knifewear so you can handle a couple knives and start to see what you like. It will help you see the differences between knives when you get to see side by side comparison.

Or you can go to l'Émouleur, in Montreal.

Welcome aboard, Larry!

Try handling some knives at the places mentioned. You will find there really is quite a difference in feel, and you'll start to get a sense for what fits you best.

And, I don't know whether or not to seriously wish for you to be able to stop at 1-2 knives - it'd certainly be a heckuva lot easier on your wallet that way, but it's also a lot less fun :)

Yeah I have been to l'Émouleur and was blown away by what I saw there!!! And of course I plan on starting with 2 knives (gyuto and Petty) but will add on to that when I will have the proper funds!

Quick question.... Besides l'Émouleur, are there some other good places/people near montreal to shop for knives?

Thanks,
Larry

Welcome aboard, Larry! There were some serious QC problems with the Moritakas that were not very well addressed by their American distributor. Google site:kitchenknifeforum.com Moritaka AND overgrind
and have some fun.

Yeah I have been to l'Émouleur and was blown away by what I saw there!!! And of course I plan on starting with 2 knives (gyuto and Petty) but will add on to that when I will have the proper funds!

Quick question.... Besides l'Émouleur, are there some other good places/people near montreal to shop for knives?

Thanks,
Larry

Not that I know...

Hello,
I am in Montreal and you can contact me re locally available knives, loaners etc.
With regard to the Moritakas, here, they are supplied locally by Paul's Finest and the 4 that I have do not seem to have any problems. They all have Rosewood handles which have been resin impregnated and great character.

Back