Thread: diamond flattening plate rust!

diamond flattening plate rust!

Recently I have switched professions. Got feed up with the lack of professionalism, talent, and overbearing micromanagement by unqualified people in my area. Thus going from sharpening 1-2 times a week, to not touching my stones on over 3 months. Apparently I didn't put them away completely dry last time using them and my flattening plate got ridiculously rusted on me. It also embedded rust on a 1k GS it was paired up against. Is there anything I can do to restore the plate or is it a gonner?

I suppose it would depend on how badly rusted it is but I would try something like Bar Keepers Friend.

I had some rust build up once before. I brought some water and distilled vinegar(5 to 1ish ratio) in a pan to a simmer, then I let the plate sit in it off heat for a few minutes, took it out and scrubbed my flattening plate with a toothbrush. Came out fairly easily, but then again, the build-up of rust wasn't that bad on mine. Your situation sounds a bit worse, but definitely give it a go.

Hope it works out for you.

how about some pics

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Maybe try CLR?
    "See... the problem here is that... my little brother, this morning, got his arm caught in the microwave, and uh... my grandmother dropped acid and she freaked out, and hijacked a school bus full of... penguins, so it's kind of a family crisis... so come back later? Great."
    -Lane Myer (Definitely not as in Oscar Mayer)

Bar keepers friend and a fingernail brush.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

From that font of all knowledge, Wikipedia: "Oxalic acid's main applications include cleaning or bleaching, especially for the removal of rust (iron complexing agent), e.g. Bar Keepers Friend is an example of a household cleaner containing oxalic acid. Its utility in rust removal agents is due to its forming a stable, water soluble salt with ferric iron, ferrioxalate ion."