diamond flattening plate rust!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jared08

Reaction score
Recently I have switched professions. Got feed up with the lack of professionalism, talent, and overbearing micromanagement by unqualified people in my area. Thus going from sharpening 1-2 times a week, to not touching my stones on over 3 months. Apparently I didn't put them away completely dry last time using them and my flattening plate got ridiculously rusted on me. It also embedded rust on a 1k GS it was paired up against. Is there anything I can do to restore the plate or is it a gonner?

I suppose it would depend on how badly rusted it is but I would try something like Bar Keepers Friend.

I had some rust build up once before. I brought some water and distilled vinegar(5 to 1ish ratio) in a pan to a simmer, then I let the plate sit in it off heat for a few minutes, took it out and scrubbed my flattening plate with a toothbrush. Came out fairly easily, but then again, the build-up of rust wasn't that bad on mine. Your situation sounds a bit worse, but definitely give it a go.

Hope it works out for you.

Bar keepers friend and a fingernail brush.

From that font of all knowledge, Wikipedia: "Oxalic acid's main applications include cleaning or bleaching, especially for the removal of rust (iron complexing agent), e.g. Bar Keepers Friend is an example of a household cleaner containing oxalic acid. Its utility in rust removal agents is due to its forming a stable, water soluble salt with ferric iron, ferrioxalate ion."

Latest posts

Back