Quantcast
limited by knife quality or skill? - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: limited by knife quality or skill?

I generally don't like to waste my time sharpening cheap steel mainly because it isn't enjoyable. Nice steel has better feedback and is actually fun to sharpen. You end up sharpening more and getting better faster, rather than getting annoyed and frustrated and avoiding it all together. It sounds like you have the basics down and are getting good results, move on to a basic carbon knife like mentioned or just sharpen your Vic. It's not like it is a custom made damascus knife you are afraid to mess up. If it gets some funky spots or scratches, so be it.

And yes, you can get cheap steel sharp. But the edge retention is very poor and usually thinning them is gummy and tedious. In addition to level of sharpness and retention, cheap steel is also usually difficult to deburr. Often when I see or sharpen cheap knives that are very sharp, they simply have a well aligned burr hanging on for dear life that feels wicked sharp. Another reason why the edge retention is poor, once you start using it the burr moves and then it is dull.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Yep, burrs are a big problem. I had no idea how much until I started pulling each knife through a piece of wood after sharpening. If the nick the edge leaves is still just a little bit "smudgy" you still have a burr. Also, try stropping. I use some cheap polishing compound on a piece of balsawood (just a few cents all in all) and it makes a huge difference. I can easily get my Wüsthofs and Victorinoxes and IKEA knives to shaving sharpness.

Quote Originally Posted by mhpr262 View Post
    Yep, burrs are a big problem. I had no idea how much until I started pulling each knife through a piece of wood after sharpening. If the nick the edge leaves is still just a little bit "smudgy" you still have a burr. Also, try stropping. I use some cheap polishing compound on a piece of balsawood (just a few cents all in all) and it makes a huge difference. I can easily get my Wüsthofs and Victorinoxes and IKEA knives to shaving sharpness.
    Yes, stropping, even without any compound, is still highly effective. My steak knife here is almost hair-splitting sharp from the strops. It's become a straight razor.

Apologies for other forum members for posting this silly video (I don't happen to think that cutting A4 is worth the bandwidth), but I am persistently challenged by one of
    the Senior Members:

June, 26
    Well, let us know how well your new carbon knives sharpen when you obtain them. Keep us updated. Post videos of the results if possible.
    July, 4
    So, can your new knives glide through paper yet?
    July, 18
    Quote Originally Posted by LKH9 View Post
    You don't have to listen to Mr.cabarete_cub, I bet he will never achieve that level to sharpen any kinds of steel. No offense but, "a bad carpenter always blames his tools".
    and I felt that I should somehow reply, so here it goes:

So, LKH9 you know what happens when Senior challenges self-confessed novice and loses, do you?

So, LKH9 you know what happens when Senior challenges self-confessed novice and loses, do you?
    I'm sorry, but this video is not so relevant to what I ''insulted'' you here in this particular topic.. The knife you're using there is a Japanese carbon knife, which is very easy to sharpen. You should post this video at your original topic.

I bet he will never achieve that level to sharpen any kinds of steel(mainly stainless steel). No offense but, "a bad carpenter always blames his tools".
    Any relevance? Good video by the way, even though not relevant to my post.

Why I'm pissed here is because you're telling another beginner that it's almost impossible to sharpen cheap knives, which sounds really ridiculous to hobbyist sharpeners. Let's say someone sees you sharpening, "Oh wow, you're so good at sharpening, will you sharpen one of my dull knives?" You:"Let's see, ****, this is a stainless knife, no it can't be sharpened!" Admirer:"WTH??"

No offense, but just because you can't do it yourself, doesn't mean others can't do it. This is also the 1st time I hear one needs a top quality knife just to learn sharpening.

Challenge? What challenge? I'm just sharing stuff with OP here, I didn't challenge anyone.

I bet he will never achieve that level to sharpen any kinds of steel(mainly stainless steel). No offense but, "a bad carpenter always blames his tools".
    Oh, man. You might add interpretations, but you can't change the quotes. You can't put stuff that was never said in quotes (like "insulted") either.

Why I'm pissed here is because you're telling another beginner that it's almost impossible to sharpen cheap knives
    Where? (direct quotes, please)

Back to topic please

Happy to oblige.

I'd compare practicing with cheap SS to football players putting extra weights for the workout. While useful, not for the beginners. Not before one gets a good feel of the game.
    For more advanced ones, like LKH9 - yes, absolutely. It is important and mostly overlooked area. I hope I'd get there one day.

Sharpening or practicing on cheapo crappy knives is a waste of time. I mean what's the point? If I sharpen it to 5k it fails after 1 cut. Sharpen it to 1k it fails after 2 cuts. You don't get to learn how to properly develop a sharp, strong and lasting edge. YOU ARE NOT LEARNING! In addition you get discouraged by your quickly failing edges.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/