Newbies first post. Find me a General purpose little one please!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ceryni

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I found that questionnaire thing, I just filled it in for you all so you don't have to ask questions too much. :)

• UK
• After kind of a slicer, something for general work but on a smaller board, around 150-180mm
• Right handed
• Japanese knife
• 150-180 ish
• Stainless is preferred but not vital
• Max is £100 roughly, I can push it but cheap as possible with still being decent
• Use at home
• Slicing and prepping veg and also meat, on a smaller board, sometimes butterflying, spatting a chicken, scoring pork skin for crackling etc.
• I choke up on the grip 90% of the time, so a combination of 30% hammer and 70% pinch.
• With this particular knife, I would be using a combination of almost self-taught knife cutting techniques, I tried to copy from TV chefs. I have had no tutoring. It will either be held free hand with no board contact when prepping meat, or a kind of a push cut. Hard to explain. I’m a newbie after all.
• Current knife has poor edge retention, feels cheap, is cheap, slightly wrong shape, but almost there.
• Finish doesn’t matter, but I do really like all the japanese knives
• Comfortable as possible I guess?
• Definitely want better food release, want to be able to use it out of the box, I like wedging tbh.
• I use a wood board
• I sharpen my own knives with stones, wet and dry ones. I am looking for a bench steel

Current knife I want to replace:
WP_20140718_003.jpg

Knives I also own:
WP_20140718_001.jpg

Back