Hypothetically speaking if I sold my Kramer Damascus

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now this would be something I'm VERY interested in knowing more about! Thoughts?

What is the second knife with leather saya?

Seems like a possible bargain compared to what some of his more recent stuff has brought. Maybe do your own auction.

Seems like a possible bargain compared to what some of his more recent stuff has brought. Maybe do your own auction.

I'm in a bit of a conundrum. In a way I would like to sell it to someone that would appreciate it, like members here. In another sense I really need good money right now, so I'm trying to get the most of what I can. Is there another route other than Ebay?

You could set it up on the bst with a blind bid process. Have a minimum reserve, then accept bids from forum members up to a certain date. Top bid would be the buyer. It would let you direct its sale to someone you think would appreciate it, while giving you some exposure to a auction style format. You might just get your minimum bid, but sometimes in these formats you can get really strong money from an aggressive buyer who really wants it. Just my thoughts.

You could set it up on the bst with a blind bid process. Have a minimum reserve, then accept bids from forum members up to a certain date. Top bid would be the buyer. It would let you direct its sale to someone you think would appreciate it, while giving you some exposure to a auction style format. You might just get your minimum bid, but sometimes in these formats you can get really strong money from an aggressive buyer who really wants it. Just my thoughts.

I don't know if this is doable or not. The BST guidelines under pricing says "Values must be listed for all knives/items being sold." I think that rule is in affect to prevent bidding :sad0: Although, if you do set a minimum bid, I don't know if this would satisfy the 'listed value'. Dave or a mod can hopefully clarify. If not, maybe a special exemption could be made?

-Steve

I don't know if this is doable or not. The BST guidelines under pricing says "Values must be listed for all knives/items being sold." I think that rule is in affect to prevent bidding :sad0: Although, if you do set a minimum bid, I don't know if this would satisfy the 'listed value'. Dave or a mod can hopefully clarify. If not, maybe a special exemption could be made?

-Steve

I remember reading that now when I was going through the guidelines. Don't mean to be giving out ideas that are not allowed. Hopefully an option that appeals to both his maximizing sale price, and placing it in home where it will be taken care of can be worked out. Thanks Steve.

I think you would be a bit crazy not to put it on ebay and potentially sell for its inflated market value. But then this place is all about the crazy ;) Depends if you want a Ducati Desmosedici or a Fireblade!!!

Yeah, this sounds like eBay :)

If you can, wait until Kramer does an auction on E-bay. Then list yours to end a couple days after his does. You'll get more buck for the bang.

Salty's advise sounds good. That being said the secondary market for Kramer knives does not seem to be nearly as hot as knives direct from him. This is typically not the case with custom knives, usually if you are able to get a knife from a hot maker, you can flip it fast for some quick cash. I know Salty did well on his knife but I have seen many other ebay auctions not do well at all.

I think Salty's advice is right on the money. If you want top dollar, you're looking for collectors for whom money is not much of a constraint. Those people would naturally want to buy directly from Kramer because the discounts they get from a secondhand owner aren't worth any potential concerns about condition, authenticity, etc (not that any of these would apply for people who know you, Jason, but for top dollar, we aren't your market). But the runner-up in a Kramer auction, who sees a chance to get what he wants a couple of days later and perhaps just a bit cheaper? That's your buyer.

I misread Salty's post, and thought he said to wait until Kramer dies and auction it on eBay. I thought that sounded like cold, but good advice.

I would take Salty's advice. No "kitchen" knife is worth keeping around at that much of an inflated market price (JMO). I would sell it in a heartbeat, purchase a Zwilling Kramer if you really like the profile, and take the remaining 95% profit and run.

Besides, I hate damascus on any knife. Very gaudy/tacky/nouveau rich. All that's missing is the monogrammed slippers :wink:

Ebay will likely get you the most money; however, don't forget to factor in the ebay fees, which can end up being pretty hefty. I haven't sold anything there in quite a while, but check the percentage you'll get charged for selling there.

A couple grand might help with the motorcycle, but the motorcycles are mass produced. Think about that before getting rid of the Kramer.

I don't get the Kramer hype, but then again, I've only used one of the Zwillings. Hard to see the prices dropping anytime soon, but I can't imagine them appreciating a multiple from where they are now.

Back