Checking In from Hamilton Ontario

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnDipa

Reaction score
Hello to all
Just a quick note to say what a great forum that you have here. There is a wealth of information available to help newcomers along. I'm a home cook with a few culinary classes under my belt that enjoys working in the kitchen. I have to profess that I have a set of Henkels Pro and have recently purchased a Moritaka KS and just love using it. I'm on the hunt for what I think is my next of many Japanese blades, but what to get next? What a dilemma, but I'm sure I'll persevere.
Cheers
John

Welcome John , there is no such thing as too many knives , don't let anyone make you think other-way

Sent from my iPhone using Kitchen Knife Forum

Nice to have you here John, I've been passing through you city on my way to work in Cambridge for the last year.
I picked up my fist japanese knife in Burlington a few years back and it's been an amazing hobby of mine ever since.
I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

Karl

Welcome John. Another Canadian in the KKF ranks, lots of you guys here!

Thanks for the warm welcome. I look forward to learning from you.
Karl if you don't mind me asking, what store did you pick up that Japanese knife from? I'm curious to figure out some good stores where one can handle some knives. You can email me if naming a store breaks forum rules. I used to live in Burlington but now I'm in Ancaster.
John

Welcome to the forum from a fellow canuk. So much to be leaned here enjoy the journey.

John, I don't recall the name but it is a small kitchen shop on the Main Street of Burlington. They carry kikuichi and shun knives. If you really want to be impressed head up to Tosho Knife Arts in Toronto, they have some really amazing stuff. Plus they are a vendor here at KKF.

Hey Karl,
I'm going to have to figure out that shop in Burlington by making some inquiries. I know about Tosho, I have to get over there. I'm just trying to avoid Toronto these days because of all the construction, apparently from what I've been told driving in Toronto requires endless amounts of patience and luck.
John

Don't believe the hype. Just pick your time right and it's a breeze.
The kitchen shop in Burlington is maybe 3 or 4 blocks off the lake shore right on the main street.
Don't be mistaken, they do have some kitchen knives but not a lot of selection. And what they do have is over priced.
I hate to admit it but the first japanese knife I bought from them was a 7" kikuichi vg10 gyuto for $350. If I would have known better at the time my money could have been much better spent at Tosho.

Don't believe the hype. Just pick your time right and it's a breeze.
The kitchen shop in Burlington is maybe 3 or 4 blocks off the lake shore right on the main street.
Don't be mistaken, they do have some kitchen knives but not a lot of selection. And what they do have is over priced.
I hate to admit it but the first japanese knife I bought from them was a 7" kikuichi vg10 gyuto for $350. If I would have known better at the time my money could have been much better spent at Tosho.

Thanks for the info. I think I'll make my way over to Tosho in the next few weeks, at least there I can handle a few different knives. I'm thinking of actually taking the knife sharpening seminar that is offered at Tosho, I wonder if anyone has any feedback on that course?
John

Latest posts

Back