Anybody Have Any Experience with the Tojiro Origami Gyuto or KAI Seki 5000ST?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brockley

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a gyuto style knife to add to my collection. I find I am liking my MAC knife a lot more than my global so I was looking for something with a little harder blade and better edge retention. My top two knives were either the Tojiro DP or the Richmond Artifex but I stumbled across the Origami while on the Tojiro site. I also like the looks of the all stainless KAI Seki Magoruko 5000ST. Has anybody used either one? I love the looks but am curious as to how the handle feels and what the blade is like on both. And yes I am looking to stay in the $90 or less range including shipping to the US.

Thanks.

I'm not trying to be rude here, but having used 4 of those other brands that you mentioned - if you're going to be spending equal or even less than you did for a MAC or Global, you're not really going to see any improvements.... You're just side-stepping. Something to consider.

Ok. I have been checking these boards out for a while and everyone seems to rave about all these brands that are not available at your local kitchen store. It made me curious as to what is out there and why people seem to think they are better than MAC and Global. When people post about needed a Japanese 8" chefs knife for under $100 very rarely have I seen MAC mentioned. I was just curious as to what is out there other than the widely distributed brands. And it doesn't hurt that the Origami knife just looks awesome.

I'm not trying to be rude here, but having used 4 of those other brands that you mentioned - if you're going to be spending equal or even less than you did for a MAC or Global, you're not really going to see any improvements.... You're just side-stepping. Something to consider.

I have the same thought. Not sure what you're gaining over your MAC with your current budget.

Back