Quantcast
Cleaning edge with cork.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning edge with cork.

Cleaning edge with cork.

Hi all, I am learning to free hand sharpen and enjoying it immensely. A couple of old globals, a two lions Sabatier, a henckels boning knife. Also a UK purchased santoku with Damascus clad (Lakeland retailer). Using a bester 500, and a 1000/3000 combo I'm getting OK results. By accident today I decided to run the edge through a champagne cork. It cleaned the edge and suddenly a great edge. Any thoughts on this, please?

It is making me happy, need more champagne corks...

It is not difficult to acquire corks.

Running the edge through cork is actually recommended for deburring. Not sure what you are asking?

If you can get your hands on a block of rockhard felt it works great. Also works great as a strop. Corks will do though.
    All normal people love meat. If I went to a barbeque and there was no meat, I would say 'Yo Goober! Where's the meat?'.- Homer Simpson

My wife keeps me well supplied with corks. Ahem

Quote Originally Posted by rami_m View Post
    Running the edge through cork is actually recommended for deburring. Not sure what you are asking?
    Thanks Rami, just sharing a new experience, I couldn't find a reference to using corks for deburring. Thanks for the confirmation

Just be careful when using corks. I find newspaper works well.

You can really cut yourself pretty good with cork Oh it hurts and it especially hurts with dull stainless knives.

I use cork, too and it does work well. I think a bit of soft to medium-hard wood works even better, especially if you have a bit of end grain wood and you pull the edge through perpendicular to the lines of the grain.

Also, you ought to geta strop with polishing paste. Two or three strokes on each side can make a big improvement on an already sharp knife. I use a homemeade one, just a little rectangle of balsa wood with some paste melted on.

Quote Originally Posted by mhpr262 View Post
    I use cork, too and it does work well. I think a bit of soft to medium-hard wood works even better, especially if you have a bit of end grain wood and you pull the edge through perpendicular to the lines of the grain.

Also, you ought to geta strop with polishing paste. Two or three strokes on each side can make a big improvement on an already sharp knife. I use a homemeade one, just a little rectangle of balsa wood with some paste melted on.
    Thanks mhpr, what polishing paste do you use? I'm in UK so might struggle to match your supply