Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: WIP The most EPIC kitchen knives I will EVER make! WIP

And finally. The finished knives!

The prep monster drew blood as I was cleaning it so they are officially DONE!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_2865 (800x533).jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	402.2 KB 
ID:	26842   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_2863 (800x533).jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	392.4 KB 
ID:	26836  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_2877 (800x533).jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	407.4 KB 
ID:	26833   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_2864 (800x533).jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	420.5 KB 
ID:	26837  

Name:	_MG_2856 (800x533).jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	359.4 KB 
ID:	26835   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_2912 (800x533).jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	323.9 KB 
ID:	26841  

Name:	_MG_2917 (800x533).jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	336.4 KB 
ID:	26840   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_2927 (800x533).jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	293.7 KB 
ID:	26839  

Name:	_MG_2892 (800x533).jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	401.2 KB 
ID:	26832   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_2895 (800x533).jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	378.0 KB 
ID:	26838  

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Available Knives

Dang pictures!!! I took about 300 images today of these knives and still am not 100% happy with any of them.. Grrrr.. Running out of daylight. Gona try one more time

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Available Knives

I think I just went blind...
    Rule #1- Don't sweat the small s%&t, rule #2- It's ALL small s%&t
    Mikey

Amazing knives. The owner is a lucky guy! I can't tell from your photos so far, but is the file work in the handle area filled in with colored epoxy? Obviously there would be concern about getting food bits in there.

I dont think Im going to be able to sleep for about 3 days after seeing those.

Thanks for the comments and checking out our work.

These knives were a challenge. Yet I know it was all worth it. and I am so BLESSED to have been able to work with these EPIC materials on this project!

I would LOVE to see a review on these. That is if my client feels good about sharing his experiences with these knives. (Yes, They do get used)

Be well and stay safe!
    Randy

Available Knives

that filework looks awesome!

Randy, Pretty talented work and astonishing results. I'm new around this forum and only found this thread today so, I read it from the beginning. I wish that I was on here at the beginning since 50 years ago I worked at Pratt & Whitney in their Advanced Materials lab as a technician and we were studying Diffusion Bonding (what you call forge welding) and I'm sure the name has changed in the 50 years. A few comments in your early posts about keeping the material stack oxygen free could have been aided with some titanium wrap and titanium turning chips. If your going to run another batch of these materials I would be happy to talk with you about your materials processes.

Great results and I'm glad to have found your web site.

Jack

Well done Randy, I remember feeling your pain with the mokume, the knives turned out splendid. I enjoy doing the odd bit of mokume but get a kick out of bonding dancing on the melting point in the fire, thus never dare use anything as expensive! Are you going to Blade this year Randy?

Quote Originally Posted by jacko9 View Post
    Randy, Pretty talented work and astonishing results. I'm new around this forum and only found this thread today so, I read it from the beginning. I wish that I was on here at the beginning since 50 years ago I worked at Pratt & Whitney in their Advanced Materials lab as a technician and we were studying Diffusion Bonding (what you call forge welding) and I'm sure the name has changed in the 50 years. A few comments in your early posts about keeping the material stack oxygen free could have been aided with some titanium wrap and titanium turning chips. If your going to run another batch of these materials I would be happy to talk with you about your materials processes.

Great results and I'm glad to have found your web site.

Jack
    Jack, Welcome to the forums. Thanks for checking out the thread. This was a fun experience and we are still forging and making mokume and using some of what we learned during this process to further what we do now..
    Im forever a student and would love to talk more with ya about this topic. shoot me a email or private message if ya want.

Quote Originally Posted by WillC View Post
    Well done Randy, I remember feeling your pain with the mokume, the knives turned out splendid. I enjoy doing the odd bit of mokume but get a kick out of bonding dancing on the melting point in the fire, thus never dare use anything as expensive! Are you going to Blade this year Randy?
    Will, I appreciate your comment and following along.. I waded in the deep end with this stuff! Was scary at times. and painfully expensive. I believe the end results justify. But who is to say really!?!?!?
    I may be at BLADE this year as a spectator. If your going. Shoot me a PM with your table number and I will be sure to drop by and shake your hand.

Quote Originally Posted by berko View Post
    that filework looks awesome!
    Thank you.. I surprised myself a bit with how this filework on the mokume turned out. I am interested to see how it patina'd after a year a year or more has passed.
    I also wish I would of sent these out for PRO photos when they were done. But I was already past my delivery date and really felt the need to get these to my client. Rather then sending them to a pro photographer.. (which can take 3 to 8 weeks to get the knives back) what do they say.. Hind sight is 20/20

Blessings
    Randy

Available Knives