Looking for knife with custom handle

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gracchi

Reaction score
Sorry if I'm unclear about anything, this is all somewhat new to me. I'm looking for a stainless steel chef's knife as a wedding gift for a friend. I'm thinking with a plain blade, around 8 inches long. Ideally looking for a wooden material for the handle, darker in color, and the 7 and 10 either engraved, burnt, or printed on it. I’m also thinking of putting a small, simple logo on it. Would anyone be able to help? (i hope i posted in the correct section)

That's a custom piece... If you have time try the makers in the forum Pierre, HHH, or Butch Harner (not on the forum). Otherwise, check Japanese Knife Imports

+1 on Korin. They have a selection of good quality, relatively inexpensive stainless knives (I like Suisin Western Iinox in this category). They will custom engrave the blade with your numbers and may be able to do the logo. (don't know that they can do custom handles).

Since this is to be a gift, I am going to fill out the information of the person I want to give it to. I hope I got most of this to make sense on my first experience with something like this.

United States

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Chef's Knife

Are you right or left handed?
Right Handed

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Western handle

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
About 8 in.

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
Yes

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
300-400 (feel free to reality check me on this)

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
Slicing, chopping, and mincing vegetables, fruits, and meats. Also trimming meats

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
None

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Hammer

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Rocking motion and slicing

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
Prefer some type of patterned steel but plain is fine. Non-plastic handle with two numbers and a simple logo design if possible.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
Lighter knife

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
Ability to use knife right away. Easy to sharpen would be a plus

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
Not sure what the time frame is for home-use knives, but several weeks would be ideal.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Yes

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
No (I know my friend gets someone to help him)

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)
No (for above reason)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
No

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
Just that the handle have the numbers 7 and 10 on it, and a small simple logo

Also thank you all for mentioning Koring, I'm currently looking through their catalogues.

Back