Wooden cutting board maintenance: beeswax?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark76

Reaction score
Most people agree on the basics of maintaining wooden cutting boards: frequently (at least weekly) oil the board. With edible synthetic oil.

Where the instructions differ is on the use of beeswax. Sometimes it is adviced to use a bit of beeswax, dissolved in the oil, sometimes not.

So I wondered: is it useful to add a bit of beeswax to the oil? And, if so, what is the use of beeswax in addition to the oil?

Stealing Penascola's proprietary recipe for wax/oil blend - my board was reborn. It is much better than pure oil.

After spraying some water with a dispenser after waxing - you could see hundred small drops. The protective layer created that way is strongly hydrophobic.

Stealing Penascola's proprietary recipe for wax/oil blend - my board was reborn. It is much better than pure oil.

Could you share that with us? The recipe I've got is 4 parts oil to 1 part beeswax. Dissolve au-baun-marie or in the microwave.

Back