Help with Knife identification!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryC

Reaction score
I stumbled upon this Nakiri in my search for a cheap knife to practice my sharpening. It is advertised as being an Hiromoto however I don't see knives made by hiromoto being sold on other website that look even remotely like this one.
What do you think?
JW1ryuG.jpg
[/IMG]

Not sure about the maker but I'll read the kanji for you.

登録 - tou roku, registration
宏元作 - hiromoto saku, the makers brand name
はがね - hagane, carbon steel
本割込 - hon wari Komi, basically just means layered with a carbon steel core

Thanks osakajoe!!!

And by any chance would there be any indications regarding the cladding material? To my inexperienced eyes it looks like stainless-steel....

I believe Hida Tool carries this knife. Their site lists it as a High carbon steel core, laminated in stainless.

Mowgs

Sure looks like it! However I think I'm gonna pass this one..... Don't think it's the best knife to practice my sharpening.

Oh and yes I am a total knife junkie (Admitting it is one more step towards recovery right!??!)

Sure looks like it! However I think I'm gonna pass this one..... Don't think it's the best knife to practice my sharpening.

Oh and yes I am a total knife junkie (Admitting it is one more step towards recovery right!??!)

Larry, single bevel sharpening is different than double bevel. I picked up a couple to see how it is. :)

Admitting your a knife junky did not help me in the slightest. Just accelerated the addiction

good knife... i'd rather not make too many comments, as its a competitors product, and whether i say good things or bad things, it still feels inappropriate

Looks like another bead blasted (or etched, but this looks blasted) "tall bevel", not an usuba.

Might be a nice knife, but man I don't like those frosted areas. They hide scratches and grind issues pretty well, but they tend to be sticky and drag through food. I wouldn't be surprised if some sell it as improving the tactile response of the knife though.

It'd be nice to see some more knives with crisp real shinogi, rather than cosmetic ones.

If you're just looking for sharpening practice and have never sharpened a single bevel don't get one. Quite different than double bevel. Especially an usuba. Having a very flat stone is key to getting the proper angle on an usuba and keeping a Straight shinogi. People also complain about having to lap, flatten, their stones and it is required very often when putting a proper honbatsuke on an usuba.

Back