Quantcast
Finishing stone for protein fab - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Finishing stone for protein fab

Finishing stone for protein fab

Stropping sounds like a good idea. As it so happens I have a rarely used strop set up that includes hard felt and several combinations of loaded leather and balsa with both chromium oxide and boron oxide.
    I currently use these only on occasion after either my 5000 or 10000 usually chromium on leather but I find in general these edges don't last long in the pro kitchen.
    I don't have much experience using them after the 1000, any recommendations on which strops to use after the chosera?
    If it helps the protein knives in question are; Gustav emerl ern carbon bullnose, 300 mm carbon suji (maker I've forgotten), tojiro dp honesuki, and possibly konosuke hd 270 suji.
    As always any advice appreciated
    - Jesse

Chromium leaves a smoother edge. Not great for meat fab. Especially not a 10 k edge. That's for yanagi sharpening. I would try 1 micron polycrystalline diamond. Leaves a sharp yet toothy edge. Even after the 5k it still works great on meats of all types.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

nothing higher than 2k.

Strop on balsa coated with some diamond spray, diamond leaves toothy, chromium for razor only :- ) I buy it from http://www.advancedabrasives.com, insanely good prices

Quote Originally Posted by gic View Post
    Strop on balsa coated with some diamond spray, diamond leaves toothy, chromium for razor only :- ) I buy it from http://www.advancedabrasives.com, insanely good prices

That's the company that Ken Schwantz of CKTG buys his compounds from, Hand American as well. They seem to like it enough.

You guys will surely explain to me how it makes sense to polish and than have stuff to get coarse finish.

I liked the 800 stropped on (usually) legal pad paper because it gave me all the toothy aggressiveness of a (about) 1k stone with a little bit of polish to make sure there was no wire edge and to tame it a bit without jumping all the way to a 3k+ stone

Quote Originally Posted by gic View Post

How do you go about ordering from them?

Quote Originally Posted by PushCut View Post
    How do you go about ordering from them?

If you send an email to them (or call) don't mention that you want the products for sharpening or honing purposes. The retailer has a lock up on selling to this market and you'll just be referred to them.

forget about compounds, that stuff is silly and completely useless. stones are all you need. stropping on bare material is good though. i've even used cardboard in a rush.