Finishing stone for protein fab

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linecooklife

Reaction score
As I've discussed in another thread I'm in the process of replacing my sharpening stones. I recently replaced my old beston 1200 with a chosera 1000 which I like very much.

So now I'm looking to get a higher grit stone to follow the chosera that would still leave a "toothy" edge suited to protein fabrication. Currently I've been just leaving my knives right off the 1000 but find the edge a little too rough and unrefined. I also have the suhiro 5000 but that is too smooth.

So I'm looking for recommendations in that in between area that would be ideal for my protein knives and not break the bank. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks- Jesse

I would suggest the Chosera 2k. Splash&Go. Hard, but with a nice feedback. It's a bit finer than the grit indicates. Leaves a fine toothy edge. Use it as last stone with soft carbons, harder ones get a few strokes on 5k-8k.

The Chosera 3k will yield a very crisp grabby edge but it's a hard(ish) stone so go slow and precise and you'll get good results.

If you're willing to go outside of the Chosera line I'd recommend an aoto, either natural or synthetic.

I really liked a stropped jns 800 for meat fab. I like those edges very aggressive.

I'm with Dardeau on this. My favorite stone for meat fab has been the JNS 1K followed by stropping on naked felt. Aggressive for meat.

Maybe make yourself a strop set up with felt or just use newspaper. Might be enough to satisfy you.

I like 5k then stropped with diamond.

Stropping sounds like a good idea. As it so happens I have a rarely used strop set up that includes hard felt and several combinations of loaded leather and balsa with both chromium oxide and boron oxide.
I currently use these only on occasion after either my 5000 or 10000 usually chromium on leather but I find in general these edges don't last long in the pro kitchen.
I don't have much experience using them after the 1000, any recommendations on which strops to use after the chosera?
If it helps the protein knives in question are; Gustav emerl ern carbon bullnose, 300 mm carbon suji (maker I've forgotten), tojiro dp honesuki, and possibly konosuke hd 270 suji.
As always any advice appreciated
- Jesse

Chromium leaves a smoother edge. Not great for meat fab. Especially not a 10 k edge. That's for yanagi sharpening. I would try 1 micron polycrystalline diamond. Leaves a sharp yet toothy edge. Even after the 5k it still works great on meats of all types.

I liked the 800 stropped on (usually) legal pad paper because it gave me all the toothy aggressiveness of a (about) 1k stone with a little bit of polish to make sure there was no wire edge and to tame it a bit without jumping all the way to a 3k+ stone

How do you go about ordering from them?

If you send an email to them (or call) don't mention that you want the products for sharpening or honing purposes. The retailer has a lock up on selling to this market and you'll just be referred to them.

forget about compounds, that stuff is silly and completely useless. stones are all you need. stropping on bare material is good though. i've even used cardboard in a rush.

Where do you get compounds for stropping, Dave? Any particular suggestions? I made myself a few strops and want to get some compounds for them, but I'm not 100% sure which ones are best for what.

The Shapton Pro 2k used to have some fans a while back, but not sure if it's still viable with all the other options available these days.

I picked up a Shapton Pro 2K at Cherry Imports here for 58.65. Got it because my friend who works there told me the sushi chefs like the shaptons as touchup stones. I find it is good if your knives are already fairly sharp the 2K will dial in the edge with little effort. It turned me on to the ease of Splash & Goes.

Back