Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recomended Atoma Combo. 140+ ???

Recomended Atoma Combo. 140+ ???

I'm planning on getting an Atoma 140 for stone flattening and serious repairs. It's tempting to get the stick-on pad and apply that to the back of another Atoma plate.

For folks that have used these, what grit do you suggest pairing the 140 with? I know that depends on what you want to use them for, but what seems like it'll be most useful in general?

Basically, what are the virtues of going 600 vs 1200?

I use the 140/1200 combo atoma and while it's nice, I think I may go down to a 600 on the back. 1200 is pretty sticky and mine has worn out in a few spots.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

I have the 140 and 600, which where suggested by other KKF member. Together they work really fine. I suggest you to don't use the 140 to flatten your stone otherwise you'll shorten it's life very quickly, it's better the 600 (for me).

At the beginning I also thought to attach a second plate to the back but (both of mine) have some edge in height so you would have to use some sandpaper to remove them.

Quote Originally Posted by Micioarch View Post
    I have the 140 and 600, which where suggested by other KKF member. Together they work really fine. I suggest you to don't use the 140 to flatten your stone otherwise you'll shorten it's life very quickly, it's better the 600 (for me).

At the beginning I also thought to attach a second plate to the back but (both of mine) have some edge in height so you would have to use some sandpaper to remove them.
    The 140 is excellent for synthetic stone maintenance, frequent flattening with a 140 will actually lengthen the life of stones you use it on. As for choosing between 600/1200, I'm going to have to make this choice as well, and I will probably go for the 600. I've already got a 1k Shapton Pro and a 1200 Atoma would be creating an unnecessary overlap. The 600 will be used to keep my newly bought Jnats in shape.

i decided for the 140/600 combo and use the 600 for lapping, as the 140 is really coarse...

Thanks, crew! I'm going with a 140/600 combo. Have a 10" diameter diamond lapping wheel at my lab (that looks much like the Atoma surface, dot pattern with interruptions to clear swarf) that I can use to smooth out the back of the plate before sticking on the pad I got from Dave. Looking forward to trying it out.

Any other good uses for them? Ginger grater, bunion remover?

Tip repair, blade road flattening, spine easing.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

I guess what I meant was handy non-knife uses for diamond plates.

where do you find these Atoma combo's? google failed me