Recomended Atoma Combo. 140+ ???

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nerologic

Reaction score
I'm planning on getting an Atoma 140 for stone flattening and serious repairs. It's tempting to get the stick-on pad and apply that to the back of another Atoma plate.

For folks that have used these, what grit do you suggest pairing the 140 with? I know that depends on what you want to use them for, but what seems like it'll be most useful in general?

Basically, what are the virtues of going 600 vs 1200?

I use the 140/1200 combo atoma and while it's nice, I think I may go down to a 600 on the back. 1200 is pretty sticky and mine has worn out in a few spots.

I have the 140 and 600, which where suggested by other KKF member. Together they work really fine. I suggest you to don't use the 140 to flatten your stone otherwise you'll shorten it's life very quickly, it's better the 600 (for me).

At the beginning I also thought to attach a second plate to the back but (both of mine) have some edge in height so you would have to use some sandpaper to remove them.

I have the 140 and 600, which where suggested by other KKF member. Together they work really fine. I suggest you to don't use the 140 to flatten your stone otherwise you'll shorten it's life very quickly, it's better the 600 (for me).

At the beginning I also thought to attach a second plate to the back but (both of mine) have some edge in height so you would have to use some sandpaper to remove them.

The 140 is excellent for synthetic stone maintenance, frequent flattening with a 140 will actually lengthen the life of stones you use it on. As for choosing between 600/1200, I'm going to have to make this choice as well, and I will probably go for the 600. I've already got a 1k Shapton Pro and a 1200 Atoma would be creating an unnecessary overlap. The 600 will be used to keep my newly bought Jnats in shape.

i decided for the 140/600 combo and use the 600 for lapping, as the 140 is really coarse...

Thanks, crew! I'm going with a 140/600 combo. Have a 10" diameter diamond lapping wheel at my lab (that looks much like the Atoma surface, dot pattern with interruptions to clear swarf) that I can use to smooth out the back of the plate before sticking on the pad I got from Dave. Looking forward to trying it out.

Any other good uses for them? Ginger grater, bunion remover?

Tip repair, blade road flattening, spine easing.

I guess what I meant was handy non-knife uses for diamond plates.

where do you find these Atoma combo's? google failed me

where do you find these Atoma combo's? google failed me

You make one by applying a replacement pad to the back of a regular Atoma plate. Sounds like you need to polish the back of the plate a bit to get it flat first.

Theory might have been the first to dream up the idea, as far as I know.

Costwise, in only saves ~$10, but it's nice to have a more compact kit.

One thing I like about the atoma's they are light. I have been using the 140 & 600 plate for some time. I prefer stones 1000 up.

It is good to keep them clean. Barkeepers Friend, & fingernail brush kind wt. handle on it so fingers stay off the plate. Run water over it to flush out the BKF & let it dry. No need clean after every use, if I'm using it for thinning & knife repair metal will build up between the diamonds after a while.

Back