Shun Electric Wet Sharpener

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Founding Member
Reaction score
So who's got one? :D

[video=youtube;hEpqZ2KvlI0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEpqZ2KvlI0[/video]

I've seen that thing in person, never used it though. I have to say it's probably a hell of a lot better of a solution for most people than the average pull through device.

And yeah, the burr brush is ridiculous.

Mine has an attachment with a funnel on top. You pour in coffee beans and expresso comes out the bottom.:groucho:

Looks like it takes quite long to set one up!

Shun hires great celebrity endorsers. If I was the average food network watcher I'd be convinced. Good thing I've always been a skeptic. This looks like it would work other than being expensive, bulky, and not able to adjust angles.

I use mine to trim my Pit Bull's toenails.
But seriously, it makes some bitchin' smoothies with the (not included) magic bullet attachment.

As long as angle assisted, powered tools go this is not as bad.

But if you go that way - just rig simple system using standard whetstone.

Does it at least come with different grit stone wheels? sounds like hes just grinding away on a coarse stone, which is an easy way to shorten the lifespan of your knife.

Will make a nice combo with Bruce's Doi Hayate knives :)

Stefan

Honestly, I know a LOT of people who don't care enough to learn how to hand sharpen. This kind of a thing is something they would do and it would help them keep their knives sharp. Just because it's not the best way to do something doesn't mean it isn't good enough for the average cook who just wants their knife to not suck.

Honestly, I know a LOT of people who don't care enough to learn how to hand sharpen. This kind of a thing is something they would do and it would help them keep their knives sharp. Just because it's not the best way to do something doesn't mean it isn't good enough for the average cook who just wants their knife to not suck.

:plus1: Plus it needs damn lot of patience in the beginning stage, no one will **** with it, as discussed before, only 1% of humans on this planet can actually sharpen with bare hands. This machine is good for the ordinary human species, hand sharpening is not for everyone.

I think that it being a brand new knife he probably just made it blunt how bad was it when it went through the paper

Hahah 1% of humans... doubt it I highly doubt 70 million people can sharpen knives id say for like 0.1% haha

They already are. I've seen some pretty terrible stuff, including a kitchen lead taking a serrated knife to a grinding wheel. There were no serrations when he finished.

They already are. I've seen some pretty terrible stuff, including a kitchen lead taking a serrated knife to a grinding wheel. There were no serrations when he finished.

LOL:rofl2:

Seriously, every time I pass by and see someone using a kitchen knife, be it for cutting vegetables or peeling fruits on the street, I'm 100% sure their knives are blunt as hell. I really wish to ask "can I sharpen your knives?" Every time I see a knife lying around, even box-cutters, I'll instinctively pick it up and finger test for sharpness, just can't help it. :shocked3:

I actually prefer an old cordless black and decker drill with one of those grinding wheel thingies. It's cheaper and I can usually pick up parts at garage sales. Now that wire brush wheel is just the thing for deburring. I can find them all over.

Someone on this forum turned me on to using splash & goes for touch ups. Nothing could be easier.

It is true most people will never learn freehand, not because it is hard, just no exposure. At the Japanese cultural center here, a sharpener from Japan came to give Demo. He did not speak English so had a translator. They had put out flyers that's how I found out it was standing room only they were surprised by the turn out.

I push freehand on this forum to any who will listen, cuz I believe hands down it is easy once learned and the best way to sharpen a kitchen knife. Dealing with all those contraptions is way harder & many don't work well or take too much steel off the knife.

My classes are picking up more culinary students every semester. They come in on their break for one on one instruction, have turned out quite a few competent sharpeners. Plus they will teach others I already see it happening at the school.

Maybe per cap Hawaii will have 0.2% freehanders:D

So Dave, when will we see that and that super duper de burring block on your site? LOL
Wonder what the grit is on the stone they use?

Latest posts

Back