Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: normal dulling?

hm another problem....I was sharpening the usuba today (just with the 6K). Got it pretty sharp and was inspecting it. I notice that if I put my fingernail and press it on one side of the edge, I can see the steel "popping" or "bending" a on the other side. It's not just a tiny bit moving either, when I press it, it seems like a 1mm diameter circle of steel "moving" on the other side of the edge.

Is this normal for fragile edges like this usuba or does this mean I am sharpening wrong?

back in high school there were a group of japanese exchange students that came, and gave the culinary arts program one of their school knife sets. they were better than the stamped mercers we have, but the edges were so fragile. same issue you had. i took one to a stone and put a flatter grind on it, around 30 degrees instead of the 20. no more issue. you're grinding the angle too steep.

I don't understand...it is a single bevel knife...

there are some japanese knives that have a second grind with the big one that reaches up the blade. think of it like those cheap greban knves that are so prevalent in food service, where they have a second grind that comes up about a 1/2 inch past the blade. just adjust your grind angle on that side, and you're problem should go away.

Many people think single bevels are easier to sharpen because they have a 'built in angle guide,' but they're wrong. Single bevels are just as challenging to get right, but in different ways from double bevels, if not more so.

The main issue with single bevels is (typically) the difference in hardness between the hagane and jigane. Because the jigane is (again, typically) much softer than the hagane, if you don't make any adjustments while sharpening, you'll eventually lower the angle of the bevel (because the jigane wears away faster than the hagane).

Basically, yes, you are sharpening incorrectly. You shouldn't be able to flex the edge as much as you're reporting to us. Raise the angle to adjust for the difference in steel softness.

Quote Originally Posted by slowtyper View Post
    hm another problem....I was sharpening the usuba today (just with the 6K). Got it pretty sharp and was inspecting it. I notice that if I put my fingernail and press it on one side of the edge, I can see the steel "popping" or "bending" a on the other side. It's not just a tiny bit moving either, when I press it, it seems like a 1mm diameter circle of steel "moving" on the other side of the edge.

Is this normal for fragile edges like this usuba or does this mean I am sharpening wrong?
    in your hamaguri, make the second bevel (the one from the lamination line to the edge) a little less acute... then you may want to micro the edge

Right now for the edge, I lay the blade flat and raise it just a little bit. Since my hands are not so steady and I am a new sharpener, I always felt I was raising it higher than most would do it. So if I understand, I should be raising it even higher. Is there a rough rule of how high to raise it? I will give it a shot the next time I sharpen.

Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by slowtyper View Post
    Right now for the edge, I lay the blade flat and raise it just a little bit. Since my hands are not so steady and I am a new sharpener, I always felt I was raising it higher than most would do it. So if I understand, I should be raising it even higher. Is there a rough rule of how high to raise it? I will give it a shot the next time I sharpen.

Thanks guys.
    without seeing how you are sharpening it, its really tough for me to tell... i'm just giving my best guess. You have skype? Maybe i can help you out over a video chat or something?