Which is more fun...?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mangelwurzel

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I've just got a new job and to celebrate I thought I'd treat myself to a new knife (how else does one celebrate?!).

I'm thinking of either a deba or a nakiri. Which one will I have more fun with??

I'm leaning towards a nakiri as I'm a home cook and don't breakdown that much fish in comparison with the amount of veggies I go through. But I do really like cooking with fish (I currently have a flexible Wusthof filleting knife). I'm also thinking with a deba, it would be my first single bevel knife which I guess is a plus for learning new stuff but a minus as the idea of single bevel sharpening is scary!

All suggestions welcome :)

I vote for whatever WillC has up for sale :D Between the two knives, I would go for the nakiri. But if you really want a single-bevel, consider going for a usuba instead of a deba; you'll probably get a bit more use out of it.

I vote for whatever WillC has up for sale :D Between the two knives, I would go for the nakiri. But if you really want a single-bevel, consider going for a usuba instead of a deba; you'll probably get a bit more use out of it.

a usuba, is kind of like a cross of a Deba and Nakiri no?

IIRC, a Nakuru is a double-bevel version of the usuba. However, the kamagata style usuba is more common and the Kanto style seems nearly universal.

I would go with Nakiri. Love using it. Chop chop chop.
I have deba, but the use is so minimal in my case so it's kinda of forgotten :(

No.

The Deba and Usaba are all about technique. The Japanese Knife Society vids on JKI's site shows them in use.

A Nakiri is a fun veg knife. I enjoy using one at home but I usually just want to use one knife for meal prep and use a gyuto.

A Deba, particulary a Miroshi(sp?) Deba at home, is a great tool to have in your tool box. I can catch fish or buy them whole at fish market and butcher/portion with M Deba. Sometimes its not pretty but I'm improving technique slowly but surely. Very different technique than the fillet knives I grew up with.

Sharpening single bevels should not be intimidating, after all you can only screw up one side:cool:.

And there is a brand new usuba in bst :p

Haha, I'm a lefty so not sure that one would work!

Aren't usubas meant to be quite difficult to use?

Well I got it so i can
1 have fun single bevel sharpening. it's a plus for me as this is a hobby after all.
2 do these ribbons out of daikon ( forgot the name)
3 learn a different technique.
Ps I got this book on the way.
japanese kitchen knives essential techniques and recipes.

If I didn't find a Shige on the next day I would have loved it.

IIRC, a Nakuru is a double-bevel version of the usuba. However, the kamagata style usuba is more common and the Kanto style seems nearly universal.

Oops, that should have been Kanto-style nakiri.

No.

The Deba and Usaba are all about technique. The Japanese Knife Society vids on JKI's site shows them in use.

A Nakiri is a fun veg knife. I enjoy using one at home but I usually just want to use one knife for meal prep and use a gyuto.

A Deba, particulary a Miroshi(sp?) Deba at home, is a great tool to have in your tool box. I can catch fish or buy them whole at fish market and butcher/portion with M Deba. Sometimes its not pretty but I'm improving technique slowly but surely. Very different technique than the fillet knives I grew up with.

Sharpening single bevels should not be intimidating, after all you can only screw up one side:cool:.

+1. I totally agree. It is really all about techniques.

Personally, I told myself that I can buy any knife I want as long as I know how to sharpen/maintain it and know how to use it. Have fun with your knife hunt.

Ps I got this book on the way.
japanese kitchen knives essential techniques and recipes
+1
I was going to also recommend that book. Great explanation of the three main traditional Japanese knives.

If you're a lefty expect to pay mare for a single bevel knife. Most Japanese knife makers are right handed so making a left handed knife takes a bit more time so the costs go up.

Unless you're catching or buying whole fish you don't need a deba. If you like working with vegetables go with an usuba. It great fore fine peeling and making decorations. Just know that sharpening an usuba, properly, takes time to learn and having perfectly flat stones is a must. I can elaborate more on sharpening an usuba or deba if you choose to get one and need some tips.

If price and sharpening is an issue go with a nakiri. More versatile and easier to sharpen.

Back