Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Honesuki in the works...

Honesuki in the works...

Here's a honesuki that I am working on, which is made out of 5/32 O1 stock. It will be deba-ish in terms of thickness so we'll see how she does in testing. This knife will also be my first with a wa-handle. Any questions or concerns with the shape of the blade or the tang? I also hollow ground this knife as it will be strictly for protein prep, primarily deboning chickens, any issues? Also, any suggestions as to what hardness and why?

Thanks in advance for looking

My inspiration

Pre-heat treatment grinding finished
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

Looks real good Pete! FWIW, the one thing I would be concerned about is having too fine a point. One unintentional poke into a bone or board will do it in. Kiritsuke style tip grind may add a bit of strength.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Looks nice and clean Pete well done , I would grind after heat treatment to avoid warps but that's jut preference

Sent from my iPhone using Kitchen Knife Forum

The blade profile looks really good - has some belly, but not too much. I second the fragile looking tip - though we can not see how thick it is. The hollow ground will however be not possible for user to maintain and may make the edge too thin (sorry for going too far with guessing here).

I like it. When Adam Marr started making knives, he made a honesuki for me, and it is still one of my favorite knives. Good work sir.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

looks like you are putting that new grinder to good use! More fun than files?

Quote Originally Posted by JMJones View Post
    looks like you are putting that new grinder to good use! More fun than files?
    I feel like the two knives that I made completely with files last year were sort of my way of paying dues to the knife makers that came before me. Every time I use my grinder, I get closer to better understanding its nuances and the techniques needed to create what I have in my mind. I am a long way from where I hope to be one day, but I enjoy seeing the progress every time I grind a new knife.

Thanks for the compliments guys!

Seriously though, any idea on what hardness I should take this O1 honesuki to?
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

I would settle at around 60Hrc with that hollow grind, if you made it flat/convex i think 62-63 would be possible
    Vive pro omni die

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    I like it. When Adam Marr started making knives, he made a honesuki for me, and it is still one of my favorite knives. Good work sir.

k.
    I remember that knife very, very well. Still love it.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

I think this could be a really, really nice piece, Pete.

For hardness, I'd hit 60, more or less. Get it to O1's comfort zone of 63ish, then temper it down to 60, rather than shooting right for it.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com