Quantcast
Gesshin 4000 Grit Stone - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gesshin 4000 Grit Stone

Jon, I'm going to have to keep an eye on you. You sang praises about the Gesshin 5k so I bought one, a month ago. Now you've gone to a higher tune for the 4k stone. To be truthful though I've been wanting to upgrade/replace some of my stones and one of them is my 3k SS. What do you think, the Gesshin 4k make a good fit between my 1.2k Bester and then either the 5k Gesshin or 6k Arashiyama before moving on to my 8k Snow White.

Sponsors
    you could just do the 1.2k bester, gesshin 4k, and 8k snow white... the 4k is fast enough to easily go from the 1.2k and leaves a nice enough finish to go to the 8k

you can use the gesshin 5k when you want a shinier edge

Alrighty then, you sold me, I placed my order, now we'll see. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by 99Limited View Post
    Jon, I'm going to have to keep an eye on you. You sang praises about the Gesshin 5k so I bought one, a month ago. Now you've gone to a higher tune for the 4k stone. To be truthful though I've been wanting to upgrade/replace some of my stones and one of them is my 3k SS. What do you think, the Gesshin 4k make a good fit between my 1.2k Bester and then either the 5k Gesshin or 6k Arashiyama before moving on to my 8k Snow White.
    The Gesshin 5k is a really nice stone esp considering is is a splash n go. In terms of speed and feel, I haven't tried anything I like more, although I do have a soft spot for SS. I wouldn't go to another 3-6k finisher because it could polish out too much of the coarser scratches and take some bite out of your edge. (Unless that's what you want.)

Sponsors
    i know you love those splash and go stones tk, but would you care to share your thoughts of the 4000 grit?

With all the stones you have at your disposal Jon, do you find yourself working up through the gesshin line, or do you like to mix and match? So far my gesshin 5k plays well with others, but I was just wondering if you liked using them in succession or do you work other brands/types into your regular lineup as well.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

I love the Gesshin soaker series. They are way better than the Choseras I've been using when I do use soakers (speed and feedback) and they easily outperform the Beston-Bester-Rika combo. The 4k is a finer version of the awesome 2k. The feedback isn't quite as dramatic and it's not quite as fast in exchange for a very nice but aggressive finish. I've tried it on a number of steels (I don't think I've tried PM steel on it yet.) and it works flawlessly on all of them. It's not a soft stone but it's not super hard either. If and when I buy soakers, these will be at the top of my list (I already have the 400).

Engorged Member
    Jon sold me a 400 and 2k...then the 4k at his shop. Each is amazing on it own merit- the 400 cuts and feels better than the Bestor. The 2k is fast and leaves a better edge than the beston. The combo is amazing. I like the 400 edge because its so Toothy. Just a quick pass on the 2k then 4k and my edge is great.

Pesky
    Last edited by El Pescador; 07-08-2011 at 12:20 AM. Reason: pickles

Quote Originally Posted by El Pescador View Post
    Jon sold me a 400 and 2k...then the 4k at his shop. Each is amazing on it own merit- the 400 cuts and feels better than the Bestor. The 2k is fast and leaves a better edge than the beston. The combo is amazing. I like the 400 edge because its so Toothy. Just a quick pass on the 2k then 4k and my edge is great.

Pesky
    This is what I wanted to hear. I want a 400 to replace my Bester because I thought it would be a good choice. Now you have confirmed it and all I have to do is wait until Jon gets some more in stock.

This 4000 is really tempting me.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote