Quantcast
Gesshin 4000 Grit Stone
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gesshin 4000 Grit Stone

Sponsors

Gesshin 4000 Grit Stone

Gesshin 4000 Grit stone is finally up for sale on the website... this is one of my favorite finishing stones and by far the best stone i have ever used in the 3000-6000 grit range

Gesshin 4000 Grit Stones @ JKI

That is one bad-a** stone, Jon. I really want one after having tried it. It cut so fast that I couldn't believe my eyes.

Engorged Member
    I have one of these. It is a lot quicker than my old Rica. Not anywhere near as muddy but amazing feedback.

John how would you rate the hardness of the stone?
    Does is slurry much is it easy to slurry?

Thanks

Sponsors
    i guess i would call is a 6-7 on a scale of 1-10... it does develop slurry, but it also cuts really fast so the slurry is mostly swarf. You can work up a slurry though.

No chance you're in LA and want to try it for yourself?

So between this and the Gesshin 5k what are the key differences? Perma soak vs cut and go and slightly harder as well as faster?

Sounds like both are good at leaving toothy edges and good for step ups to much higher grit stones or leaving as is.

Sponsors
    The gesshin 5k leaves a brighter mirror-like polish, is slightly harder, and is splash and go whereas the gesshin 4k is a soaker, slightly sofer, faster, has better feedback, and leaves a misty edge... if you could make the chocera 5k be a better stone, it would be the gesshin 4k

splash and go stones always will lack the same kind of feel and feedback you can get from good soaking stones... for the most part, they are slower too (though there are some exceptions). However, some people require the convenience of splash and go at their work or home, or they simply prefer them for the sake of convenience... thats why we have both.

I've had a lot of people try this stone at this point and i havent yet seen someone not blown away by it.

Thanks Jon.

I've been enjoying the 5k but I have to admit that my perma soak stones have always seemed to have better feedback. The 5k does leave a crazy polished edge for its range while still having bite but it sounds like this would be a good stone to add to my lineup for something different.

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    i guess i would call is a 6-7 on a scale of 1-10... it does develop slurry, but it also cuts really fast so the slurry is mostly swarf. You can work up a slurry though.

No chance you're in LA and want to try it for yourself?
    unfortunately no I am on the East coast.

Sponsors
    that sucks... well hopefully some other people who have used it will chime in... that way you dont just have to take my word for it. I know there are quite a few people on here who have tried out this stone.

I'll also try to get a video up of it soon like i did with the other gesshin stones.

-Jon

+ Reply to Thread