So, Who Would Be Willing To Take The Plunge On This Project?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vai777

Reaction score
Not even sure if this is the right place for this but... here it goes anyway.

Thinking about turning this (a somewhat rare knife that some of you may recognize from back in the day).
Pretty sure it is the same core steel as the Ikeda / Akifusa

6nOoSsh.jpg

W4IX5QY.jpg

RfIeYT9.jpg

Into something like this (another knife some of you may recognize from WAY BACK in the day).

6tzZW5W.jpg

Who can do it? Who would be the best option?

Will it cost me an arm and a leg?

I'm more about the profile of the blade than the handle but a new nice handle would be cool too.

I could probably do it myself... buy some coarse stones and have at it...

It doesn't look like the edge needs much re shaping, just bringing the spine down towards the tip, arching the choil, and rounding the bolster. I'm sure Dave could do it, but you'd have to wait a while. Maybe Don Ngyuen? He's got a good eye for style also!

Maybe it's worth trying to print a scale template of the fish knife, and see how much material needs to be removed.

There seem to be places where the second knife has steel where the potential project knife does not. The fish knife looks taller and the spine stays parallel to the handle farther down the length of the blade. It seems you could get kinda close but I don't think you could actually make the second knife out of the first one. If Don Ngyuen took the project on you know it would turn into something amazing even if it wasn't an exact match.

Do you know the dimensions of the two knives?

Might be right about there not being enough material... I'll have to do a little photo shop to see what is going on

Thats not a hard project to do. Especially if you have a hand power grinder to do the hard work. Then it is on to the stones for fine adjusting the shape, thinning and sharpening.

I would probably talk to Dave Martell about commissioning the work. I wouldn't waste your time with stones, it would be much more productive/efficient to have a pro do the work and make sure it is done right.

I would probably talk to Dave Martell about commissioning the work. I wouldn't waste your time with stones, it would be much more productive/efficient to have a pro do the work and make sure it is done right.

this is true, and I'll probably leave it as is. It seems that the blade profile of my knife would have to be compromised too much for it to match the "fish knife". It would turn it from a gyuto to a semi-sujihiki

H34483213.jpg

Would be a closer bet. SG-2 powdered steel, sanmai construction clad in stainless with amboyna burl handle. I own this knife, and I really like it. It's a shame that it was discontinued. The profile is perfect for me.

Latest posts

Back