• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB: Prep or beater type knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoqaVin

Reaction score
Just putting my feelers out there, seeing if someone has one up for sale, before I buy one, preferably stainless over carbon, but up for anything

I'm not sure what you're looking for. I tend to use my nicest, most efficient knives for prep and prefer a beater for the rare abusive jobs. FWIW, I consider line work to be abusive. People may use your knife during the frenzy of service, higher chance of it falling...my chef always cuts things when I'm away from my station helping pantry, so I had to get a stainless beater for line work.

Yo-deba or heavier cheap Chinese cleaver like the dexter-Russell.

I know what you mean Jasper, but something a little bit better than that, like a 210 laserish type knife, maybe someone has on the cheap?

It would be useful to include spending guidelines. One man's beater is another man's unicorn...

just get a tojiro dp from amazon, best bang for buck and with just a little bit of work on coarse stones, it is quite a decent cutter too. i'm willing to bet mine cuts better than many peoples $300+ knives out there.

I do believe the Mundial Brazil knives to be pretty good. They are a clunky knife and they make one with a European style bolster. They are soft steel so they respond fast to steel rods or ceramic. Tojiro is a good value but the blades are thinner and hard so won't quite take the abuse.

You can get the Mundial without the nice handle and bolster for less with the cheap plastic nsf handle. I think they are highly comparable to the victornox knives but a lot less money.

Tanaka VG10 or blue steel might be worth a look but they are slightly over budget.

I second the tojiro dp.. found a 210mm for $90 aud including shipping on rakuten. Sharpened it up and gave it to one of the dudes at work and he loves it. Not too thick or thin, don't think you could go wrong there

I saw that metalmaster has a 210 Tanaka in Blue 2, for like 128. that's not bad at all

how reactive are they though? I heard through the grapevine they are VERY reactive?

The Fujiwara FKM is another to consider. Most everybody seems to like the feel and profile of the FKM over the DP, and though AUS-8 stainless isn't a prestige steel it doesn't chip like VG-10, making the FKM a real beater.

Rick

I second the tojiro dp.. found a 210mm for $90 aud including shipping on rakuten. Sharpened it up and gave it to one of the dudes at work and he loves it. Not too thick or thin, don't think you could go wrong there

Makes me wonder if I found the same knife as you mentioned. A Google search took me to one currently on sale for $59.95 (with free shipping).

They are reactive and probably would be annoying if you are doing fast paced line work and always cutting something. But they also have a great edge and excellent food release. Tojiro DP is on sale for 60$ with free shipping, that's pretty hard to beat.

Back