Mid-Life Line Cook

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clarence

Reaction score
Hello, everyone. I live in Singapore, where the food is as varied as the income gap is wide. I've decided to quit my job and train as a cook. I hope to learn more here. Cheers.

Welcome to KKF Clarence. I know we've got a few members in Singapore.
What type of food are you hoping to cook?

A warm welcome from sunny Singapore ... where are you being trained now? :bliss:

Sorry but I've been abroad.
Thanks for the welcome!
I'll be going to SHATEC's open house tomorrow to find out more about their diploma course. I'll give an update when I get home in case any aspiring cooks in Singapore (or elsewhere) would like to know about the diploma course.

Well I've spoken to two of the major culinary institutes offering diploma programmes in Singapore. They're both 1.5 year courses.

Shatec
6 months study at the institute
Followed by 6 months apprenticeship at a restaurant. You would get your certificate at the end of this phase
Finally, 6 months study at the institute for your diploma
Apprenticeship allowance seems to be lower than that of Sunrice
Total fees about S$3.5k for Singaporean citizens and PRs, after subsidies.

At Sunrice
3 months study at the institute
The rest of the course is spent on this cycle: 1 week at the institute, 2 weeks of apprenticeship at a restaurant
Newer facilities
Total Apprenticeship allowance seems to be around $1.4k per month for Singaporean citizens and PRs
Total fees about S7.9k for Singaporean citizens and PRs, after subsidies.

I'm leaning towards At Sunrice. I still have a couple months more to decide as I'm only leaving my job next year.

Lot's and lot's bog big business in Singapore...Try to cook privately you'll pinch those 1 percent for more pennies :)

Back