Quantcast
Loose Leaf Tea
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loose Leaf Tea

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar

Loose Leaf Tea

This topic got pretty big over at KF a long time ago, and I scuffed at it since I was/am so big into the coffee culture. Recently I have been looking for an alternative to coffee, something a bit lighter and have bought some loose leaf tea (with pot) at Whole Paycheck...err Foods. I seem to like mostly green and white teas. Any great places (quality and price) you buy your tea from? Anything you wish you knew before you started?
    Jason

theres a place in Canada called tea emporium and teaopia and they sell blends of everything.

I used to go to Tim Hortons twice a day as they have on in my office building. Made the switch to loose leaf tea about 2 months ago and haven't looked back.

I prefer black teas and usually just let someone in the store choose a blend.
    Only other thing I bought was a portable thermos with a centre part for the leaves. Something like this: http://www.teaopia.ca/products2.cfm/...ia-Travel-Mugs

mine was however a dollar store buy. Gotta save money for knives!

and a good wake up in the morning: rooibos with lots of lemon!

I'm into greens and Oolongs. But alas this has been cut out due to finances. Nowdays it all about the sublties of tap water.

Pu'er, at least 99% of the time.
    I really am related to Tony Clifton.

I've got a stash of pu'ers and Japanese greens (sencha & gyokuro) that I dig into during the day. Plus a good amount of longjing. I got my pu'ers as a whole whackload of samples from someone on a tea forum. My sencha and gyokuro I got off one of the major eBay sellers. The longjing... I think was also online somewhere.

What I wish I knew beforehand... don't get careless with a good teapot. I chipped and then smashed the lid on a good banko teapot from being stupid 2 different ways. First time, I had a gyuto air-drying on the shelf above my desk. I put it back in its blade guard and then wasn't paying attention. It fell and clattered on some stuff on my desk... including, yes, the lid of my teapot. I learned not to put my nice teaware under the shelf from then on - but of course, I also haven't dropped anything off the shelf since then :P Second time, I was lazy and reached up to the shelf while still seated. I had my teapot open to air dry (seems like air drying is inviting trouble!) and I brought the entire saucer, teapot and lid down. But the lid slipped off the saucer and smashed into pieces on my desk. I learned from that one (a) put the lid on the pot when moving it, and (b) don't be a lazy ass.

Other than that... I wish I didn't get so much tea. I don't know how fresh my teas will be by the time I get to the end of my stash.
    Len

i'm into Japanese greens, and Indian blacks, mostly. i like a bunch of Chinese greens too, but they don't seem quite so distinctive to me as the Japanese varietals. i like all tea, really. in all honesty, though, the vast majority of my tea drinking these days is PG Tips.

Maybe I'm in a rut, but I've been drinking Twinnings Earl Grey for about 30 years (girlfriend got me hooked).

Available in 200g tins at Cost Plus.

James

Genmaicha for the green and Lapsang Souchong for the black. Hot or iced.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

I have been drinking green tea for about 10 years now. http://www.harney.com/ has the highest quality Japanese green teas that I have found. But they are pricey.
    Jan

Black tea or Pu'er for me.

Steve at http://www.jas-etea.com/ is a good source of tea and info as well as a forum member around these parts.

Here is a random tea photo from the tea of the day thread at B&B.

+ Reply to Thread