knives most likely to appreciate

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

menzaremba

Reaction score
I was looking at the Kramers that were on the bay last week, and thinking about how dramatic his price increase has been over the last decade. I'm sure I wasn't the other one that wished they'd bought a few back in the day (some to sell, some to keep).

My question is: What are the knives/makers that we'll be wishing we had bought a decade from now. If you feel like it, post current and appreciated pricing for the amusement of future forum readers.

Probably the Doi's I just sold...lol. But in all seriousness.... it will be whoever gets some sort of media attention that goes viral, kind of like what happened with Kramer.

Considering their current price point: Tilman Leder, Marko Tsourkan and Mario (if he still was doing knifes).

I have not handled one but judging from pics I would hang on to any Bill
Burke knives

Sent from my iPhone using Kitchen Knife Forum

DT , Catchside maybe too. Like Radar , Burke and HHH, they make their knives start to finish. Low production of the customs.

I'd look at Don Nguyen: Low production, changed his maker's mark (which strongly dates the knives with the first mark), amazing quality, highly distinct style (slightly less since he stopped doing the k-tips (as often?)).

Not to be a debby downer, but I feel like it will take extreme circumstances for average people to appreciate an appreciated value other than us select knife heads..that being said, best luck in the market place goes to Burke and dt I think.

I'd add Murray Carter to the list as well.

I'd say he's still young and has plenty of years left. Met him last year when he was in Japan and plan on saying hello when I'm stateside in his area next month. So wouldn't count him out as disappearing anytime soon and suddenly his knives becoming rare and something to hang on to.

Plenty of knife makers here in Japan that are getting old with no successor to take over. Those are the guys I would look for.

Any of the 6 mastersmiths that make kitchenknives, Burke, Kramer, DT, Rader, Carter, Wilburn. Also Randy, Will, Peirre and Marko for sure. I think Cris Anderson, Luke Snyder, David Lisch, Maumasi, and Jones are all people to keep your eye on. I own knives from every one but Jones and they are all quality products. PS sorry to any makers I left out. Oh and I'm waiting on a Tillman. I've heard nothing but good things

I'd say he's still young and has plenty of years left. Met him last year when he was in Japan and plan on saying hello when I'm stateside in his area next month. So wouldn't count him out as disappearing anytime soon and suddenly his knives becoming rare and something to hang on to.

Plenty of knife makers here in Japan that are getting old with no successor to take over. Those are the guys I would look for.

Yeh the brothers that made my Tamahagane are late 80's & 90. Rare that build Tatara oven to forge kitchen knives. A-Frames had a few, but they are all sold out.

I take that back A-Frames brought in a couple more Tamahagane/Watetsu Yoshimitsu 210mm Gyuto

A full set of Hattori KDs.

+1

I'm surprised the KD line wasn't brought up earlier. Prices have easily tripled in the last 5 years.

Also, Carter knives have significantly appreciated, even though he's still making a good amount of knives. Most of his knives, especially the larger sizes, have increased, by at least 50%, in the past few years based on used and new knife prices.

If your looking at knife purchasing from an investment standpoint I would probably pass on the Carters. They have jumped in price in recent years but I think Carter is pretty near his ceiling. He doesnt do customs anymore and he pumps out a crazy amount of knives considering the scale of his operation. Other makers have less supply and more demand. I would consider the hattori KDs just because the demand is huge and has been growing for years and theyre extremely difficult to obtain.

Well - I am not that optimistic. Knives that will appreciate a lot (relative to purchase price today) will be those made by makers that are not well known today. Sure - an unused $1000+ Rader or western Shig may actually be worth some 20-30% more in few years, but I would not be too sure about that. For me it would be a torture to have such an amazing knife at home, but not use it :)

I think you are looking at that slightly wrong - from the enthusiast point of you. For the majority of posters here a knife has an intrinsic value of its own. The problem (only for value appreciation) with that is a knife from a great maker makes good enough substitute for a knife from another great maker, that has gone up in price, which just doesn't allow the makers to jack up the prices.

In one of the previous topics about Kramer, one of the makers here told about visit to his physician, where they talked about Kramer's blades. The maker tried to interest the doctor with some of his knives (and I have yet to hear bad word performance or finish wise for any of the artisan knives made here) and was politely ignored. The person just wanted a Kramer.

So the knives that will shoot up in price probably won't be the best, the prettiest or whatever-est, but will be the ones whose maker manages to jump into pop culture. Sadly from my observation of pop culture this is unpredictable and based on luck.

This is about order of magnitude appreciation.

Back