Looking for a new knife. The Newbie first post! hahaha

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PTATCCSCS

Reaction score
Hello there guys. I would love some guidance here as I am looking to upgrade my knives. I am a at home cook and currently have a set of Henckels (a boxed set from Macy's that I don't use. I am looking to get a quality Chefs knife, utility knife and pairing knife. I will start with the Chef for now though. I have been snooping around the Forums and for some reason, I have liked the Hattori Gyuto FH series and from what I have read people seem to like these? But I would appreciate any and all feedback. http://japanesechefsknife.com/HattoriForumHighEndChefsKnives.html#HattoriFH

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)? Chefs Knife 240mm

Are you right or left handed? Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle? Western Handle

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)? 240mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no) I feel like a stainless knife would be easier maitnence and stay looking nicer longer but not a deal breaker.

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife? The Chefs knife I want to stay around $250.00 but with all the knives together looking to spend around 500-600

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment? The knife will be home use only.

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.) Slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, slicing meats, cutting cheeses.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?I have a set of Henckels Eversharp

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.) I use a pinch grip 80% of the time.

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.) Rock Chop, push cuts and some slicing. Not much chopping.

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.) N/A

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)? I do not need a certain pattern but would like a good quality knife that performs well. It is for home and I will not be displaying so staining and scratches are not a huge deal for me.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)? I am not seasoned enough to care so much about the weight of the knife. But for my hands I feel the western handle would fit me better then the japaneese.

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)? I would like to be able to use the knife out of the box and have something somewhat easy to sharpen.

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)? I wouldn't mind sharpening the knife before every use as a quick 3-4 minute thing?

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.) I have a wood cutting board but would be open to et something new if needed.

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.) As of now I don't but I look forward to learning how and doing this myself.

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.) Yes

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.) Yes

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

Thanks for the advice guys. I low you more seasoned veteran are probably sick of this question. IS there a reason to talk me out of the Hattori FH series?

Won't try to talk you out of the Hattori FH. It is a good blade with a nice handle option. In that 250-300 price range for a 240mm there are some quality choices.

Learning to sharpen your nice knife is the way to go, plenty support here in that area, since you want to learn. Welcome to the forum:)

The Forum knife is ok... handle is great if a little small. What I didn't like about it is that the blade had too much flex for me. Edge holding was good, but there is better at this price point. Now you may like a little flex but I prefer as close to zero as I can get. The Hattori looks great but for the money I'd go with this http://epicureanedge.com/shopexd.asp?id=85649 it will outperform the Hattori on every level except maybe looks. Superior steel, superior edge holding.

What other knives have you looked at, liked or disliked?

Japanese Knife Imports, Korin and Epicurean Edge are stateside vendors that support this site and offer easy shipping (and easy returns should that be necessary). From their offerings the Gesshin Ginga from JKI is my favorite to recommend within your your budget constraints.

What part of Fl are you in? PM me if near Tampa.

What other knives have you looked at, liked or disliked?

Japanese Knife Imports, Korin and Epicurean Edge are stateside vendors that support this site and offer easy shipping (and easy returns should that be necessary). From their offerings the Gesshin Ginga from JKI is my favorite to recommend within your your budget constraints.

What part of Fl are you in? PM me if near Tampa.

Hey Dave I'm from Ft. Lauderdale but have lived in Orlando for the past 13 years. I have looked at the knives in the stores such as Williams Sonoma. I like the look of the Shun knives but have been talked out of those. Heard they are to pricey for what they are.

Won't try to talk you out of the Hattori FH. It is a good blade with a nice handle option. In that 250-300 price range for a 240mm there are some quality choices.

Learning to sharpen your nice knife is the way to go, plenty support here in that area, since you want to learn. Welcome to the forum:)

The Forum knife is ok... handle is great if a little small.
for me the handle on the 210 was simply too small, I prefer the bigger handle on the 240. I Wonder why Hattori has different handle sized for the 210 and 240 in their FH line, whereas the 210 KD has the same bigger handle as the 240...

for me the handle on the 210 was simply too small, I prefer the bigger handle on the 240. I Wonder why Hattori has different handle sized for the 210 and 240 in their FH line, whereas the 210 KD has the same bigger handle as the 240...

Would you prefer the Hattori FH 240 over the Gesshin Ginga 240?

You like western handle the Gesshin Ginga comes in western or wa handle. I own the wa version it is a thin blade that goes through food with little resistance. Also the steel is high quality stainless that gets very sharp, feels good on the stones not hard to sharpen. I would prefer the Ginga, you would be starting off with a fine knife.

With any fine blade knife care is important, the edge should only touch food & pref. a wooden cutting board. You will also need a whetstone to keep your knives sharp.

You like western handle the Gesshin Ginga comes in western or wa handle. I own the wa version it is a thin blade that goes through food with little resistance. Also the steel is high quality stainless that gets very sharp, feels good on the stones not hard to sharpen. I would prefer the Ginga, you would be starting off with a fine knife.

With any fine blade knife care is important, the edge should only touch food & pref. a wooden cutting board. You will also need a whetstone to keep your knives sharp.

Thank you for the info!

I think I would choose the Ginga as well, just because i've had the Hattori and would be curious about the Ginga. Personally, i'd choose a wa-handled Ginga...

I talked to John at JKI and he felt like with my skill level the Gesshin Uraku would be best. He stated its a thicker knife so a little more durable (if my skills are not top notch) and he said it still holds an edge nicely and is easier to sharpen. I should receive it Monday and I will post pictures. (If I can figure out how??????)

Back