Quantcast
Fixing a chipped tip
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fixing a chipped tip

Fixing a chipped tip

I am sure this has been discussed before, but I can't seem to find it through the glorious search tool, I left my knife on the line at work and someone knocked it down or maybe even myself, I can't seem to remember, anyways it ended up having a bent tip, so I went at it on the stones and thought I could just fix it that way, as I was successful doing this before. But it must have been a lot worse or something, when I sharpened out the bent tip, I ended up noticing that the tip was no just fatigued steel, and now it is just a chipped tip. What is the best way of going about this, I do not have a super coarse stone, since I am into naturals, any stone suggestions as well as techniques would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!

Diamond plate from the spine down until the chip is almost gone to where one quick sharpening will bring the edge up to make it whole again. No diamond plate? Sidewalk.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Or cinderblock!

Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    Diamond plate from the spine down until the chip is almost gone to where one quick sharpening will bring the edge up to make it whole again. No diamond plate? Sidewalk.
    really? I saw this on youtube with a cheapo knife, but I wasn't sure if I should do it with a more expensive knife

Talk about nails on a chalk board. It must feel and sound torturous grinding a hard steel on a coarse concrete block.
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

Quote Originally Posted by Zwiefel View Post
    Or cinderblock!

What in the hell happened there?

Quote Originally Posted by Mucho Bocho View Post
    Talk about nails on a chalk board. It must feel and sound torturous grinding a hard steel on a coarse concrete block.
    Yeah. Not pleasant.

Quote Originally Posted by vai777 View Post
    What in the hell happened there?
    It came to me in this condition so I don't really know....I'd guess it's a combination of "chippy shun," hard plastic cutting board, and abuse. Except for that chip that appeared on the polishing stone, I was quite happy with the product.

For the OP: this was the first time I did anything like this...so I'm sure you can fix yours too!
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Yeah. Not pleasant.

It came to me in this condition so I don't really know....I'd guess it's a combination of "chippy shun," hard plastic cutting board, and abuse. Except for that chip that appeared on the polishing stone, I was quite happy with the product.

For the OP: this was the first time I did anything like this...so I'm sure you can fix yours too!
    Yeah that is pretty insane... I have a shun santoku and it gets beat... the wife uses it... never got a chip ever. That thing looks like it was used to hack bone.

Probably was used as a can opener.

Or cinderblock!

Nice repair Danny!