Quantcast
Fixing a chipped tip - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fixing a chipped tip

Seriously! I have a beater Norton just for this. Then I use the edges of waterstones for the in-between shaping.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Zwiefel View Post
    Or cinderblock!

Seeing that chipped edge reminds me of blades coming out of a battlefield. How many lives did it claim?

Removing the chips is straightforward, thinning the edge is the tricky part.

that shun reminds me of my old bosses, he used to literally beat the hell out of the thing, threw it everywhere and put it through dish multiple times a day, thing looked like the rocky mountains, and was a great example to me of how chippy VG10 shuns can be.

knives get 'chippy' because of user error, not because they are inherently brittle steels.

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    knives get 'chippy' because of user error, not because they are inherently brittle steels.
    I think a combination of user error and poor heat treatment, no? That was my understanding about the Shuns anyway, hardened beyond the sweet spot for the steel.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Looks like a chippy old Sun. I got my 8 inch classic kind of uneven from my early days of inexperienced sharpening. Now it's got a huge fat convex that helps support the edge better. Despite the hideous bevels it draw cuts soft tomatoes better than some of my more expensive knives. That cinderblock puts my atoma to shame That was a great repair job and those bevels OMG...very nice.

i've dealt with plenty of shuns, they are not that chippy. their only downfall (if it applies to you) is it feels gross on the stones, and that deep belly profile, yuck.

Yeah that big Shun belly almost took a finger off last week I didn't want to wipe a carbon knife so I grabbed the old shun and rock chopped...wow that belly was so big the knife slid out from under me and sliced my finger...a good little clean cut.

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    I agree, sharpened up a guys shuns that were badly chipped like Zwiefel's knife. After repair used them a while, all kinds of cuts including chopping no chips at all. I kept a small slicer 160mm as payment. It had been chipped all along the blade. I use it to carve up & go between the joints of Costco roasted chickens, again no chipping at all.

Shuns are sold everywhere, most people who buy them know nothing of knife care. It is not like someone buying a Carter. They throw them around banging the edges into hard objects. Most come from German panzer soft steel bloc sets. I sharpened a lot of these too with dents & broken tips. The Shuns don't stand a chance.