Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fixing a chipped tip

Quote Originally Posted by keithsaltydog View Post
    I agree, sharpened up a guys shuns that were badly chipped like Zwiefel's knife. After repair used them a while, all kinds of cuts including chopping no chips at all. I kept a small slicer 160mm as payment. It had been chipped all along the blade. I use it to carve up & go between the joints of Costco roasted chickens, again no chipping at all.

Shuns are sold everywhere, most people who buy them know nothing of knife care. It is not like someone buying a Carter. They throw them around banging the edges into hard objects. Most come from German panzer soft steel bloc sets. I sharpened a lot of these too with dents & broken tips. The Shuns don't stand a chance.
    The above is my only experience...maybe we are seeing a disproportionate number of users with poor habits on those knives rather than poor quality heat-treat.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Just my experience, I sharpen a fair amount of soft stainless (mostly on diamond plate)finish on 1K stone & leather strop. The Vg-10 Shuns seem easy in comparison to sharpen. I do most of burr removal on the stone & strop a couple times on newspaper, no problem with burr removal on VG-10. I find that AEB-L is even better to sharpen almost like carbon. Also like the way the Carbonext & Gesshin Ginga take to the stones. Have little experience sharpening very expensive stainless, since it does not come my way ,my better knives are all carbon steel.

They make tons of shuns I would think that they go through a very specific Heat-freeze-lower heat again process. Even Cutco's have a quality heat treatment. The only thing I can think of besides abuse is perhaps because of the large quantity the edge steel is fatigued in the final edge work & has to be removed to get to the good steel. This is pure speculation only a guess. I have had that happen with a stainless Japanese small cleaver.

when i see a knife with as much damage as the one zwiefel repaired, the first thing that pops into my head is people trying to cut frozen stuff with bones. you use a knife with a 'good heat treat' doing the same thing, i guarantee you the damage will be just the same if not worse.

OP: sorry, I seem to have totally threadjacked you.

Strangely, I got a note from the owner of that knife a couple of days ago asking if I could fix it again, "it's almost as bad as before." <sigh>

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    when i see a knife with as much damage as the one zwiefel repaired, the first thing that pops into my head is people trying to cut frozen stuff with bones. you use a knife with a 'good heat treat' doing the same thing, i guarantee you the damage will be just the same if not worse.

tell them to trade in for a henckels

That would not be the worst advice they received that day.

Unfortunately they were a gift from her father...so rather unlikely. I will offer some usage advice though. In any case, I enjoy doing the work.

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    tell them to trade in for a henckels

Quote Originally Posted by Zwiefel View Post
    OP: sorry, I seem to have totally threadjacked you.

Strangely, I got a note from the owner of that knife a couple of days ago asking if I could fix it again, "it's almost as bad as before." <sigh>
    At this rate it will become a petty, give the person the facts about knife care

Quote Originally Posted by keithsaltydog View Post
    At this rate it will become a petty, give the person the facts about knife care
    Actually, I think it is a petty...headed towards 135mm though. But yeah.

Any reason why you would not use just a flat file to remove all the metal? Why are you so keen on diamond plates, sidewalk and cinderblocks?

Quote Originally Posted by krx927 View Post
    Any reason why you would not use just a flat file to remove all the metal? Why are you so keen on diamond plates, sidewalk and cinderblocks?
    you would ruin the file, a file is used to file iron not hardened steel

i prefer a diamondfile in this case to do the shaping and then finish on the stones
    Vive pro omni die