Quantcast
Ideas for first 240 Gyuto upgrade.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ideas for first 240 Gyuto upgrade.

Ideas for first 240 Gyuto upgrade.

Ok, I think I am finally ready for something a little better.

I have a Fujiwara 240 FKH, Konosuke 270 HD Suji, and Shun Elite 8" that I have been working with and sharpening for awhile and have started thinking about a new 240 Gyuto to add to the lineup.

The Gyuto seems to be the one I reach for the most, but the Suji is a very close second. I don't really like rocking when I cut but have not really had a problem walking the Fujiwara on the board. 240 seems like the right size for everyday tasks on my boards. I have been enjoying Wa handles lately but decent western handles are ok in my books as well.

So who has any advice? I've worked with Blue #1 and really like it. I'm thinking of another carbon knife as so far I have enjoyed it more than SS, although AEB-L might be nice to try.

Budget is anywhere between 180 and 350.

I think the standard recommendations are going to be the Devin Thomas ITK or a Konosuke HD. Either one seems to fit your bill. Do you want a superb all-rounder (the ITK) or a laser (the Konosuke)?

Not that these are your only options.

If you're not in a hurry, I think a Devin Thomas Mid-Tech 240 would be a good choice. It's $20 over your budget, but it's well worth it.

x2 on a DT ITK, in either AEB-L or 52100. Great everyday, everything knife.

Quote Originally Posted by heldentenor View Post
    I think the standard recommendations are going to be the Devin Thomas ITK or a Konosuke HD. Either one seems to fit your bill. Do you want a superb all-rounder (the ITK) or a laser (the Konosuke)?

Not that these are your only options.
    If I was to get another Konosuke I think It would me a white #2. I know the DT ITK will show up, it always does (and with good reason from all accounts)

At this point I am thinking that I might want something a little more substantial than a laser.

Engorged Member
    I've got a very lightly used Hattori Forum 240mm gyuto that I'd sell you. It walks fine on the board and doesn't have much of a flat spot. PM me if you're interested.

Pesky

Quote Originally Posted by El Pescador View Post
    I've got a very lightly used Hattori Forum 240mm gyuto that I'd sell you. It walks fine on the board and doesn't have much of a flat spot. PM me if you're interested.

Pesky
    I do like a nice flat spot. The FKH walks great with even with a decent flat length at the heel. Its a thought though. Ill keep it in mind.

I'd go with the white 2 Kono. I just used one (still am actually) to prep dinner. It's the best performing gyuto I've ever used. But, don't believe the hype
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

i would get a Hattori FH if you want stainless or a Mizuno blue if you want carbon. i like my Kono white an awful lot, but i don't find myself actually using it much (the Mizuno and Shig take up most of my usage).

I have both the Kono white #2 and a DT Mid-Tech 52100. Once I got my DT, I hardly use my Kono anymore. Not that the Kono isn't a great knife it's a superb knife and probably the best gyuto you can get for the money. It's just that the DT cuts just as well and is about 50g heavier so it helps do some of the work. The FnF is perfect, I love the handle, the balance it just right. And another thing, it's made in America, which I think is important.