Quantcast
Ideas for first 240 Gyuto upgrade. - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ideas for first 240 Gyuto upgrade.

the very light weight of the Kono is why i don't use it. it seems to take a bit more work, even though it cuts absolutely superbly. a little more flex than i like, too. i've thought about selling it or trading it, but i can't quite bring myself to do it. it is a great knife. maybe i should use it tonight.

What about a Masamoto KS? It is White #2 with great geometry and is quite flat so it should suit your needs. It is also quite thin without really being a laser so it should cut noticeably better than the knives you have but it isn't so thin that you need to look after it any different than the knives you have. It is $310 from JCK

That's a good suggestion. It's nice to see something "new" (actually old) mentioned (again).
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Not that the dt mid tech hasn't been mention but I've had mine for about 2 weeks now and it is really a superb knife...although now my kono hd is being negelected

Since you mentioned more heft I would point you in a couple directions. First, ER beat me to the punch, but my go to gyuto is the Mizuno. Right in you price range, carbon, heck of a knife. I'd also say the Masamoto KS would fit the bill - from the measurements and pics I've seen it fits in the middle as far as blade thickness of the Mizuno and say a Konosuke. The AS Zakuri gyuto at JKI might fit the bill, although it would probably need some thinning out of the box... but the grind on those knives would make thinning pretty easy, I think. Last but not least, an old faithful that not a lot of people mention on here anymore: Aritsuga. Will definitely need thinning but a heck of a knife and very versatile (you can grind it 50/50 or at pretty much any asymmetrical bevel you want). You might also consider a Suisin or Yoshihiro, though those fall more into the laser category I think.

I highly suggest the Mizuno.

My favorite 240 is a Carter SFGZ which is a little over budget and you might have a problem acquiring without a long wait. I really like Blazen in the 240 and Yoshihiro is a nice all around. It's definitely not a laser. I also really enjoy Aritsugu A-type but it took a fair amount of work to get there and the TKC/CarboNEXT. If I was to go for another 240, not on this list and not stain resistant, I'd go for a Mizuno or Masamoto, too. Zakuri are great knives but a little beastly for me, lol. If you were going the laser route, I'd probably go with KonHD... I really like my 270.

Another vote for an AEB-L Devin. Or a 10" Zwilling Kramer in 52100. If you have a Sur la Table near you, you can basically try it with no risk as they will let you return it for any reason after any period of time.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Have you considered the Misono Swedish Carbon?

Agreed...Exactly what I am doing right now. Love my Hattori FH 240 but wanted to try the 10" Z. Kramer. Played with it last night. The Kramer makes the Hattori look like a suji. Completely different knives. Took some time to adjust to the height of the Kramer...will comment on it in the Zwilling post. Briefly, love the steel, not sure about the geometry yet. The handle is super comfy in my meduim-large hand. OOTB edge is sharp...push cuts and shaves easily. The knife looks great...gonna show off at my cookout tonight.

SLT's policy is quite ridiculous....and I love it. I helped fund the Kramer purchase with a Shun Parer I bought a month ago and hardly used.

With so many great options, there is no wrong choice.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    Another vote for an AEB-L Devin. Or a 10" Zwilling Kramer in 52100. If you have a Sur la Table near you, you can basically try it with no risk as they will let you return it for any reason after any period of time.

Hmmm

Think it would be one of these 3
    Mizuno Blue
    Masamoto KS
    DT ITK SS or 52100

Anyone have anything to add about them?