Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for first 240 Gyuto upgrade.

Well, I'll take a stab...
    The Mizuno isn't actually blue in colour. Ken Schwartz has NOTHING to do with the Masamoto and I'm pretty sure the DT is a lot less than $52100!
    But seriously, I've got nothing other than, the Masamoto impressed me immediately when I held one, but I haven't gotten to try one out.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Well, I'll take a stab...
    The Mizuno isn't actually blue in colour. Ken Schwartz has NOTHING to do with the Masamoto and I'm pretty sure the DT is a lot less than $52100!
    But seriously, I've got nothing other than, the Masamoto impressed me immediately when I held one, but I haven't gotten to try one out.

Nicely done.

Since you ask, the only thing I have to add is to keep in mind that while the DTITK's are really good knives with nice steel and design, from what I have observed (out of a half dozen blades or so), there is more variability in the profile, quality of the grind as well as the level of fit and finish than with other brands. Some are laserish near the tip but others are pretty average. Others look almost like suji-gyuto hybrids or even funayuki-type profiles. Most come with minor overground faces, twists and bends in the blade. To Devin's credit, he will correct the more significant of these issues.

I have the Masamoto and I like it. It is middlish thin, considerably more so than my Hattori and has a nice taper near the tip. The fit and finish is excellent and it has a rounded spine and choil and it has a nice engraved saya. The Mizuno seems to be pretty popular as well, I've sorta been eyeing them for a while but I'm gonna get a Watanabe instead. I guess it sorta comes down to the profiles and whether or not you want blue steel or white steel. And of course don't forget the most important thing of all.......Which one has the coolest looking Kanji??

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    Since you ask, the only thing I have to add is to keep in mind that while the DTITK's are really good knives with nice steel and design, from what I have observed (out of a half dozen blades or so), there is more variability in the profile, quality of the grind as well as the level of fit and finish than with other brands. Some are laserish near the tip but others are pretty average. Others look almost like suji-gyuto hybrids or even funayuki-type profiles. Most come with minor overground faces, twists and bends in the blade. To Devin's credit, he will correct the more significant of these issues.
    I'm wondering how many batches of ITK Devin has made and sold. My two are from the most recent batch and mine seem flawless. Maybe Devin has zeroed in on his problem areas and got them resolved. Wish Devin would chime in on this.

Quote Originally Posted by 99Limited View Post
    I'm wondering how many batches of ITK Devin has made and sold. My two are from the most recent batch and mine seem flawless. Maybe Devin has zeroed in on his problem areas and got them resolved. Wish Devin would chime in on this.
    @99 - I'm still waiting for my replacement DT ITK that was part of your batch. DT has to redo the handle with cocobolo as originally ordered, and I'm jonesing for it. Good to hear that it was a good investment (for you, 2x).
    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said: "I drank what?"

i don't have a 240, but i do have a 270 konosuke HD and actually haven't bothered even looking at another knife since (actually, i've neglected this forum and other knife forums pretty much altogether - oops!). BUT - you already have a 270 suji HD, so why not look for something "else". if you had to do a 240 gyuto, i'd go for the kramer-copy. i mean - it'd certainly be a "different" kind of knife among the others.

The Zakuri can get you blue#1, I have one. It's on the beefier side. Otherwise the Masamoto is liked by everyone if you want a middle-thickness knife.

from what you describe about what you want i would recommend the 240mm wa-gyuto Masamoto KS. you get a tremendous value and they are a bit more substantial than a "laser" but you still get a thinner knife that can work very well as an everyday go-to knife. i think if i were to ever get a 240 gyuto again, i would go for this as well. it will come in a little under budget as well.

I'm not gonna buy a new knife for a few months (famous last words) but the KS is on the future short list!