By Request, My Experiences With J Knives From The Begining. It's Long....

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vai777

Reaction score
So at the request of a few forum members I am going to write a little bit about my experiences with Japanese knives, how I got into them, and what the end result of years of collecting, sharpening and using them is.

We shall travel back to 2004/2005 so I’ll say early 2005 if I remember correctly. I was looking for a "slicer". You know those special knives that come out during the holidays usually accompanied by a matching fork…lol. Yeah well anyway, that is how it started. I was so close, ever so close to pulling the trigger on a Wustfoh carving set, but somehow I stumbled upon a forum. That forum was the legendary FoodieForums.com, and it has a sub-forum dedicated to knives. Can’t remember the exact name of the sub forum right now but I’m sure someone reading this will let me know.

So that is where I was first introduced to J knives. If I recall correctly at the time the Hattori HD was basically the “recommended” knife line out at the time, with Tojiro also being mentioned for those who didn’t want to fork over what the Hattori HD cost. However THE KNIFE at the time was the NENOX Karin line… or simply Nenox S-1. They had the steel, the handles, the geometry… everything; they were certainly all the rage. There were a few rare knives floating around at the time including the Ichimonji Mitsuhide gyuto (made from SRS-15 PM) that I ended up buying off someone (had “dog” in the name if I recall correctly). That Ichimonji is now labeled as Ikeda / Akifusa / Artisan, but still made by Ichimonji Mitsuhide (I believe). Then there was the mythical Hattori KD… if you don’t know, you probably never will at this point. Outside of the Nenox that was a knife everyone wanted but the price made it out of reach for many, which is why I out the Nenox ahead in terms of popularity at the time. People at least knew they could actually get a Nenox at some point.

With that being said my first J knife was a Hattori 240MM HD, from JCK to which I was directed by members on FF… IT FRIGGIN RULED!!!! After that I was hooked. I got a 150MM Petty, a Honesuki and a Sujihiki, all Hattori HD. I have only the petty left. Right around that time I was learning about single bevels. I wanted a Yanagi… not that I had any idea what I was getting myself into but yeah I WANTED ONE BAD!!!! So I bought one… but I’ll be dammed if I can remember which one. I am pretty sure it was a Suisin Inox but it may have been a Watanabe Kintaro-ame (never used it…too nice)… I also had at one point a Suisin Usubiki (which is a yanagi but thinner) and I had the Suisin Inox Fuguhiki. Good knives if you need a stainless Yanagi… but you don’t need a stainless yanagi. I bought an Ittosai Suminigashi from Korin (which was a stunning knife) but had to return it because it was scratched on the back. Then I ordered a 330MM Hayate (still have that one) the certificate says 011 and there is no number stamped into the back of the blade (old school). Then I bought the Hayate Sakimaru Takohiki off a forum member, which I just sold last week. I also bought a 240mm Hattori KD and a 150mm Hattori KD Petty. U used the KD a few times; the cladding seems to make it a little less than smooth running through food. I sold it off, but eventually ended up with another one and the other Perry which was 135mm. After those knives it kind of gets hazy… I do know I had a 270mm Hattori KD as well… got it from Japan Wood Worker and sold it at a profit about a year or so later.

Somewhere along the line maybe late 06 early 07 Shigefusa came into the picture (obviously he was around way before that but getting a knife in the states was pretty difficult… that is where Japan Woodworker came in. Pretty sure I got a 240 kasumi Gyuto and a 270 and 300 kasumi Yanagi from them as well as a Kurouchi Nakiri and Santoku. The rest of the Shigs I had were a 210 kasumi gyuto a 240 kitaeji gyuto, a 300 kitaeji fuguhiki, a 165 kitaeji Nakiri, a 180 kitaeji Usuba, and a 240mm yanagi. The only one of them that got any real use was the 240 yanagi which sharpened up real nice and cut even nicer… it is worth the money for the kasumi line no doubt, well it was back then. Somewhere in between those knives I think I purchased two custom Mizuno Tanrenjo Fuguhikis a 270 and a 300… from JCK.

Then I found AFRAMESTOKYO… yeah that was just what I needed. Bought a vintage Masamoto Honyaki, and a Nenohi Mizu Honyaki. Those blades got me “hooked on honyaki” which would be a really good name for a j knives website… or at least make a good knife geek T-shirt… but I digress. Around this time I also managed to purchase an Ittosai 300MM Honyaki gyuto, which was absolutely spectacular (I also purchased a used on along the way and actually used it… but not before cutting a huge chuck of my nail-bed out white sharpening it) It cut very well but it was a beast to wield around a small kitchen and it was plenty reactive. I made my first trip to Korin around this time ordered another 300mm Ittosai Gyuto but without the special coating they put on the blade. While I was there I picked up an Ittosai Mizu Honyaki 330 Yanagiba and a Suisin Mizu Honyaki Sakimaru Takohiki. The sales people were shocked when I knew what Mizu Honyaki meant… kinda felt like they knew I knew what the deal was then. On the next trip down there they knew me by name which was kind of surprising. I only bought a Masamoto 270mm KK Takohiki but Master Sugai (the knife sharpener there) came out and showed me and my wife a rather cool looking knife. He let me hold it and it was basically a yanagi but the backside was flat. He said it was made by a master swordsmith (I assume now it was Tamahagane but I could be wrong). I asked the price 10K. LOL… This guy just handed me a 10k knife like it was nothing… I handed it back very carefully and thanked him. Yeah I know… cool story bro… but it’s true.

Eventually my order for the Ittosai Honyaki gyuto came in and I took delivery… it was just as nice as the other one I had. During this time a new maker came onto the scene… Itou. I bought them… I bought a lot of them, 240 gyuto, 150 petty and 270 gyuto all with abalone handles (which lead to me being banned on knifeforums… I’ll get to that in a bit). I was reaching a point now where I had a ton of drawer queens… oh crap… I forgot about Murray Carter… I know I had at least 6 Carters, a 270 sujihiki, a few Wa-Bocho’s the length of I cannot remember… but they were from the high grade series. I had at least one HG Funayuki and a Fukugo-zai Funayuki and well as a petty(ish) kind of knife.

Anyway somewhere back in time (this is all random stuff I remembered while writing this) there was another knife from Suisin which was like a single bevel funayuki. It had a special name but I can’t remember what the hell it was right now. Cool little knife but it was beyond my skill level to use it correctly. I also owned Phil Wilson CPM30V Chefs knife hardest thing to sharpen EVER…. I had a small Kikuichi Honyaki Yangiba as well as a Cleaver of some sort from JCK, I had the JCK Forum 240 Gyuto and 150 petty… didn’t like them… too much flex. I also went through 2 Sanetu zdp-189 santokus which I wish I still had… DAMN IT!!!!! Had two Hiromoto AS gyutos… liked them but not overly thrilled.. they did get wicked sharp though. I ordered two at the same time but ended up with two different version… one had a stamped kanji and one had a printed kanji. The one with the stamped kanji had a lot of flex the one with the printed kanji had NONE… both from JCK… weird. Also owned 2 suisin Ginsan-KO Suminigashi knives a Yanagiba and a Takohiki Had a Nakiri and a Santoku by a very old maker whose name I forget… both were kurouchi… both were cool little blades. Had a 311mm Takeda… yeah that one… everyone owned that one at some point. Also had a Takeda Ajikiri… awesome little AS knife… got stupid sharp. Had a Hiromoto solid white steel #2 gyuto which was also cool, but reactive… very very reactive. Still have a Watanabe 240 MM Takohiki White steel… wicked sharp knife but has issues with “moving”. Still own a Masamoto 240mm KK Yangiba… still the best yanagi I have used. Have a 270mm Shigeki Tanaka blue #2 Yanagiba… gets crazy sharp, and cuts like a dream… great deal in a yanagi if you get a good one. Had a Masamoto KK Nakiri which I never got used to cutting with. Still have 3 Hayates a 330 Yanagi. A 330 Takohiki and a 420 Yanagiba.

After those last Hayates came in (the Takohiki was the last one I believe)… I found myself with a bunch of drawer queens (note I did not own all the knives listed above at the same time there was constant buying and selling)… and not many users. I was basically cutting up everything with a Blazen petty and a TKC Gyuto (the original ichimonji version). That is if course until I found Ikeda. I was on the phone with EE and wanted another blazen cause I liked the petty so damn much. I was told about the Ikeda (Akifusa) and I figured what the hell… well that was pretty much it for me… once I got that knife I never felt the need for anything else. Yeah there were more and more pretty knives coming out, damascus, and fancy handles and whatnot but at that point I had had my fair share of expensive knives. I found that in reality you can have customs from very famous makers but sometimes it is the plain jane that you fall for. That being said there are some new mid-line (hell I’ll even say cheap) knives out there that are of interest to me. Like the HAP40 Gyuto and the Migaki R2 stuff. Who knows maybe there is something better than the Ikeda but I haven’t found it yet.

About those Itou abalone handles…. Yeah well the story goes like this. I was a member of Knifeforums (for a little while… well actually quite a while but hey…). I got into an argument with Fish… yeah that Fish about the Itou handles. He was trying to tell me they were fake abalone and I was telling him the were real… it escalated to me getting a pin heating it and sticking it to the handle of my $500 Itou gyuto (it did not penetrate or leave a mark…. Still didn’t believe me and the rest of those clowns piled on. If someone thinks I’m going to go along with the crowd just because they all adore a certain member on a forum they have another thing coming… he was wrong I was right but that didn’t matter. I know I was the new guy relatively speaking but it was mob mentality at its worst… ALL OVER A HANDLE ON A FRIGGIM GYUTO. I’m sure there are a few members here who were there, in fact a few may have even been in the mob. Long story short I was the first to tell Knife Forums and whoever the **** was admin at the time to go **** themselves, and I see quite a few others followed suit in the years since. And yes I know Fish is dead… what can I say… the story is an integral part of my J knives / forum experience and if someone doesn’t like it… TS.
I like this forum though I’ve only been active here and there… it still isn’t FF… nothing will ever be FF because that was a different time, with different people and a different vibe. It was, like I said before a legendary forum which I wish an archive of could be posted online if only to read KCMA’s posts, though I think he has a lot of posts on knife forums as well. That guy was the real deal, straight shooter no BS… a true forum legend no question about it. Wish he was still around.

**** I know this is an overwhelming amount of knives, if you have any questions about a particular one feel free to ask, I simply cannot go into detail in this one post about every knife I have owned. Don't let the KF story fool you, I'm actually pretty nice... most of the time. :wink:

That is a cool journey :)

For the newer guys on the forum who are just starting out, what are the top bits of advice you'd give them based on your experience so far?

I think it'll be interesting to see how those of us who have also had our hands on a few knives will agree and disagree with what we've learned. I have a feeling there will be more agreement than disagreement :)

Thanks for sharing with us.

I know we are in for a treat when you decide to share your wealth of experience and your amazing knife journey. :goodpost:

That truely is a wonderful journey. And one hell of a collection of knives you have had the pleasure of owing and using. I'm glad you at back on a knife forum you' re experience and knowledge will surely be appreciated. And if I want just a broke cook of be all over that doi 330 takaboki great to have you here

That is a cool journey :)

For the newer guys on the forum who are just starting out, what are the top bits of advice you'd give them based on your experience so far?

I think it'll be interesting to see how those of us who have also had our hands on a few knives will agree and disagree with what we've learned. I have a feeling there will be more agreement than disagreement :)

Well I'll say this....

1. If you have never owned a Japanese knife and are used to the German or American stuff... it is a world of difference. You have to be more dedicated to maintaining Japanese knives versus other knives (many people simply cannot grasp that concept). :angryspin: You can't use these things and throw them in a drawer like a Henckels or Wusthof, especially if they are full carbon steel.

2. You will need to re-learn how to cut, and buy something decent to cut on, because a glass or marble cutting "board' isn't going to do you any favors. :beatinghead:

3. NO ONE NEEDS A YANAGIBA... Unless you make sashimi. You don't need one, you should not buy one, they are very very particular knives used for very a particular task. You will look cool cutting the thanksgiving turkey with one but you will destroy your knife, or at the very least damage it badly. :sad0: That being said I have three "users" I use them now maybe once or twice a year. Can I cut super thin pieces of mean with it? Yes. Do I need it to? Nope. A sujihiki will do just as good if not better.

4. Everything in a normal home kitchen can be done with a petty and a gyuto... EVERYTHING! Unless of course you butcher your own meat or debone chickens yourself... then get a deba and be done with it.

5. For the beginner and even the advanced sharpener... LESS stones is better. using a 500 1k 2k 4k 6k 8k 10k 15k progression will do nothing but create a billion micro-bevels and increase your chances of making a mistake exponentially. Use a simple set-up with stones you prefer. You will have to determine what stones those are on your own, but I have used Shapton Glass, Chosera, Naniwa and Shapton Pros and they all work just fine. I'd say stick with a 500 2k 5k 8k (frankly you don't even need the 8 but I'll leave it in there). Murray Carter uses a 1k and jumps to a 6k... that's it. If you need something lower for a damaged blade a 220 would come in handy. The Shapton Glass stones wear the least and are splash and go... the Choseras are a little more finicky.

6. You DO NOT need a 10k edge on a kitchen knife (Gyuto, Petty, Santoku. Nakiri ect......) PERIOD. A professional Yanagiba is another story. If you want to torture yourself put a 10k edge on your gyuto and see how long that lasts when you cook at home... I'll tell you and save you the trouble... 5 minutes (if that) is the answer. You can strop till the cows come home... :doublebanghead: you aren't getting that 10k edge back without re-sharpening. The more you re-sharpen the less life your knife has and the more thinning behind the edge (which is a PITA) you need to do.

7. For the love of god, be careful with these things... they will take a finger off if you are not careful. :knifed:

8 Carbon gets sharper, Stainless lasts longer (the exception being a yanagiba used strictly on protein, then the Carbon steel becomes an advantage because of the superior sharpness). While I say superior, a pro chef will be able to tell the difference, a beginner will not. In fact a pro chef will be able to tell the difference between a honyaki blade (another thing the home cook does not need) and a Hon Kasumi blade without even looking, just the feedback from the cut will tell them. This is not something I can feel because I am not a professional chef, most of us aren't. :wink:

9. A super sharp / polished edge will not give the proper feedback / feel while cutting food. A 10k edge may technically be sharper but I have found that a 5k or 6k stropped ever so slightly give a great edge that will last longer and just feel better while cutting, that's just me though.

10. Shigefusa, Itou, Tanaka, Carter, and the rest of the high end makers are all wonderful craftsmen but there are knives at a 1/3 of the price that will cut just as well. If the Caters and Itous and Shigs cut better, I'd still have them... I don't. That being said... splurge on yourself, :bliss: it is good to own a high end product at least once in your life. It is good to see what near perfection is in a tool, but in the end understand the law of diminishing returns is alive and well in the knife world. For those of you who play guitar or bass... I used to own some pretty high end guitars, Anderson, Suhr, Gibson.... guess what they didn't make me play any better than I did on a good old American Strat. They looked nicer, but they also cost a hell of a lot more.

11. Carbon is a pain in the ass... :surrendar: I don't like patina, I don't want to see patina, :nono: I don't care if it is just on the edge and the rest of the knife is stainless... :sad0: you keep the carbon over there <----- and I'll stay way over here ----------> with my SRS-15 :bliss:

12. Shuns really aren't that bad :whistling:

13. You will scratch that $500 Damascus gyuto you just bought yesterday :slaphead:

Disclaimer... these are the things I have found to be true during my journey with these knives. YMMV :my2cents:

Reactions: SWF
Bruce, I think you forgot one...a Nenox S-1 yo deba 240mm. Am I correct?

YES!!!! That was actually a good one... for some reason I remember liking that think heavy blade.

Wow that is quite the journey! Thank you for sharing it. It's always interesting to read about how someone found "the" knife for them.

Thanks Bruce I had to grab a Heineken:beer: to read these threads. Interesting journey, you have had some very fine blades. A true knife geek & some pretty valid perspectives for a home user. Working Hotel Kitchens Japanese knives for me made a huge difference. Got into Japan SB & Cleavers as well.

I still cook quite a bit at home now I'm retired. Hardly use my single bevels at all. Sold a few to cooks who can use them. Still keep a few cleavers around.

Thanks for sharing!

What HAP40 gyuto are you talking about?

Oh, and I really like those honest words, the words of wisdom, your bits of advice... Made me smile and laugh out loud sometimes...

This is exactly what I was hoping for, thanks for writing it. I think your rules are right on (other than about patina;)

Yes, I don't understand why people who doesn't make sashima/sushi buys a yanagiba. Then again, it is your money and if it makes you happy, that is all that matters. :thumbsup:

I have one, I try to cut Sashimi once in a while, though I'm 100% sure that it doesn't turn out any nicer than what I would get with a sujihiki, probably because I don't really know how to cut, it's just cool to have and to use. And if we're talking about diminishing returns, with the exception of Kramer knives expensive knives are much cheaper than expensive watches, and yet people will spend $10,000 on a watch when a $20 one will show you the time just as well, there the returns start diminishing very quickly indeed, and still people spend money on them, and have several when one will do. Human nature.

What a great post. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and opinions on J-knives. Seems to me this would be a good post for beginners to read and perhaps learn from your journey.

Nice! That was an invigorating read, I felt the same way on some of my experiences and buys, mainly the nenox and others but thanks for taking the time for writing that up!

vai777 thank you very much. It was a pleasurable read, although I wasn't able to drool as much as others not knowing half the names you mentioned.
Very helpful for a beginner to get insight and perspective. If possible could you elaborate a bit more on how you maintenance and sharpening habits
evolved?

Bruce, I never knew why you got banned at KF, just that it happened and there seemed to be some hard feelings left over. I may have participated in that Itou handle thread too and if I contributed to a negative feeling you received I apologize. That sure brought back memories.

Thanks for posting your knife story. :)

Thanks Bruce I had to grab a Heineken:beer: to read these threads. Interesting journey, you have had some very fine blades. A true knife geek & some pretty valid perspectives for a home user. Working Hotel Kitchens Japanese knives for me made a huge difference. Got into Japan SB & Cleavers as well.

I still cook quite a bit at home now I'm retired. Hardly use my single bevels at all. Sold a few to cooks who can use them. Still keep a few cleavers around.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Thanks for sharing!

What HAP40 gyuto are you talking about?

Oh, and I really like those honest words, the words of wisdom, your bits of advice... Made me smile and laugh out loud sometimes...

I don't want to post the link here... google HAP40 gyuto... you will find it.

\There were a few rare knives floating around at the time including the Ichimonji Mitsuhide gyuto (made from SRS-15 PM) that I ended up buying off someone (had “dog” in the name if I recall correctly). That Ichimonji is now labeled as Ikeda / Akifusa / Artisan, but still made by Ichimonji Mitsuhide (I believe).

Just to throw out a correction, as i've gotten a number of e-mail questions about it now. The above statement is not accurate. Ichimonji Mitsuhide is not the maker of this knife. Similar to Ichimonji, Ikeda, Akifusa, etc., it is just another brand name.

This is exactly what I was hoping for, thanks for writing it. I think your rules are right on (other than about patina;)

Yeah I know a lot of people would disagree on that one. It probably really isn't an issue, just a hang-up of mine. In reality I have seen some pretty cool patinas forced and unforced.

Yes, I don't understand why people who doesn't make sashima/sushi buys a yanagiba. Then again, it is your money and if it makes you happy, that is all that matters. :thumbsup:

Yeah that is what I am saying... most of these things we do not need, but they are interesting and it doesn't hurt to try and experiment. You are right if you have the money and you want an Yanagiba... but a yanagiba... I did... :biggrin:

I have one, I try to cut Sashimi once in a while, though I'm 100% sure that it doesn't turn out any nicer than what I would get with a sujihiki, probably because I don't really know how to cut, it's just cool to have and to use. And if we're talking about diminishing returns, with the exception of Kramer knives expensive knives are much cheaper than expensive watches, and yet people will spend $10,000 on a watch when a $20 one will show you the time just as well, there the returns start diminishing very quickly indeed, and still people spend money on them, and have several when one will do. Human nature.

Yes very true, it is the "hip" factor. Also in many cases it is simply a way to show off that one has money, which may or may not be a good thing, it's a status thing...

Nice! That was an invigorating read, I felt the same way on some of my experiences and buys, mainly the nenox and others but thanks for taking the time for writing that up!

Yeah Nenox was all the rage...lol... can't tell you how much I lusted over the sujihiki...

vai777 thank you very much. It was a pleasurable read, although I wasn't able to drool as much as others not knowing half the names you mentioned.
Very helpful for a beginner to get insight and perspective. If possible could you elaborate a bit more on how you maintenance and sharpening habits
evolved?

Well for the carbon knives I simply kept them oiled with Tsubaki oil. and in their boxes when not in use. The stainless went in a knife block. As far as sharpening I use a combination of stones / papers and strops (I used to be obsessed with sharpening.. seriously obsessed) but now I think simple is better. Sometimes I do a convex edge... seem to last a little longer. I still haven't mastered freehand on the stones for double bevel knives. Single bevel I have found to be much easier and can get a wicked edge.

I have Chosera stones 400 1k 2k 5k a Kitayama Snow White 8K (which is a PITA) and I have a 10k and 12k Naniwa Super stone. Honestly I could probably get by with the Chosera 400 1k 5k and then just strop the edges a bit. Oh I also have a 500 1k and 2k Shapton Glass stone... great stones, splash and go... dish very slowly.

Back in the day there was a place called "HandAmerican" that sold direct. They carried super high grit papers that I bought a ton of. 5k 9k and 16k I believe. I use these papers on top of a hard leather strop to hone the edges... though I mostly just use the 5k and 9k now as the 16 (might be 15k) does some funky stuff to the edge. I also have some diamond spray... don't bother... it is over the top... useless for the kitchen.

One piece of equipment you MUST own is a hard felt pad/strop... it does wonders removing burrs... other than that it really is going to be about what you are comfortable with.

Bruce, I never knew why you got banned at KF, just that it happened and there seemed to be some hard feelings left over. I may have participated in that Itou handle thread too and if I contributed to a negative feeling you received I apologize. That sure brought back memories.

Thanks for posting your knife story. :)

Yeah that was the beginning of it. I called out Fish because I though he was being ignorant on the topic. Obviously he had a ton of friends over there and they were naturally going to side with him, which was fine. What I didn't like was that I didn't feel like I could say something even though it was totally true simply because one person on the forum disagreed and said otherwise. I'm pretty sure it got really really nasty (due in no small part to my tendency to be pretty blunt when I feel something is wrong). There was a **** ton of name calling and general chaos that resulted in a few PM's from some people who supported me but didn't feel comfortable posting it on the forum for fear of "retribution" yada yada yada... I also think the headmasters at the time JN, MS and probably a few others PM'd me and TOLD me to tone it down, to which I promptly responded GO **** YOUSELF... and that was that...LOL.

I kind of revel in the fact that the sub forum is pretty much a ghost town now, and everyone probably saw what I did early on.

As far as you being involved in the KF incident I don't remember having any issue with anything you said... it was really just the head honchos who I guess are still in charge over there. I wouldn't have joined up here (only a few days after the site went live I believe) if I thought you were part of the mob.

Just to throw out a correction, as i've gotten a number of e-mail questions about it now. The above statement is not accurate. Ichimonji Mitsuhide is not the maker of this knife. Similar to Ichimonji, Ikeda, Akifusa, etc., it is just another brand name.

Cool... you learn something new every day....

Though the more and more I start hearing stuff like this... it leads me to believe there is some giant factory somewhere in some bunker in Japan that make 90% of all the knives out there... and resellers simply stamp some logo / kanji on it.

Back