Quantcast
scorpionfish - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: scorpionfish

Interesting. Is bluefish popular in the States? You never see it in restaurants here. It's considered a cat's fish or poor person's fish. They also make superb fishing bait.

Is flaky bad for steaming? What about steaming whole, Cantonese-style?

Right! Monkfish is a $@*! Ugly looking fish.

Here we go with the ugly fish again. What is up with these threads? Next thing you know someone will start a thread on Lutefisk.

Not ugly, but it'll make ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Seb View Post
    Interesting. Is bluefish popular in the States? You never see it in restaurants here. It's considered a cat's fish or poor person's fish. They also make superb fishing bait.

Doesn't really matter if you steam it whole, a la Cantonese. Or you could try a med twist on cantonese style by replacing the ginger, sesame oil etc with capers, olives, olive oil and white wine.

i just wouldn't recommend steaming it in any way unless it is right out of the water. in that case i think it would hold up just fine. i just prefer getting some caramel color.

wreckfish is ugly

so is monkfish

Ugly or not, they look like loads of fun to take a knife to! Which is all that really matters, right?

for me? at work?

yes...

no way am I gonna bring that fish home.. Not enough space in the kitchen, not to mention the fright it would give to my family.. They prolly wouldn't even touch them after seeing how they look like before "processing" haha

Thats not too far from the truth. Wahoo, dolphin, cobia and big tuna are rather handsome fish, but there are many fish that are delicious but should never be displayed whole at a fish market or supermarket if you intend to sell any of them. Some are so ugly, they have to be given new names, like the Patagonian toothfish (Chilean sea bass) and the slimehead (orange roughy) Tilefish, monkfish, and hogfish? Nothing we can do for them other than eat them and enjoy.
    Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    the ugliest fish always taste best

Bluefish is supposedly two steps below kingfish IMO. You can't even say "but its great smoked" and that is BAD because even an old sneaker can be made edible by smoking. People in the Northeast east bluefish, but I think that is more tradition than anything else.........kinda like chittlins'
    Quote Originally Posted by Seb View Post