grinding out a deep bevel

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dream816

Reaction score
I guess I wanted my new konosuke white # 1 150 mm petty to be a mini yanagiba. :laugh: So I used a coarse stone and grinded out a deep bevel and thinning the knife in the process. The "shinogi" line has also became much more prominent.

It was only after it was completed then I started wondering if I have done something crazy with a brand new knife. I really don't know but it felt right doing it and I did it without hesitation.

I wonder what you think but if it is a crazy thing to do it is already done.

I don't have a "before" photo but this is the "after" photo

img_4111.jpg

It that's how you feel the knife should be why would it be crazy. Looks great by the way

I guess I wanted my new konosuke white # 1 150 mm petty to be a mini yanagiba. :laugh: So I used a coarse stone and grinded out a deep bevel and thinning the knife in the process. The "shinogi" line has also became much more prominent.

It was only after it was completed then I started wondering if I have done something crazy with a brand new knife. I really don't know but it felt right doing it and I did it without hesitation.

I wonder what you think but if it is a crazy thing to do it is already done.

I don't have a "before" photo but this is the "after" photo

img_4111.jpg

was that a double bevel knife? what does the other side look like?

was that a double bevel knife? what does the other side look like?
Yes, it was a double bevel knife. Actually it had kind of wide bevels from the very beginning, but due to polishing, they aren't apparent. Just look in this thread to get the idea what bevels looked like on new.

Back