not sure what suji to buy need a bit of guidance

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jai

Reaction score
hey guys im thinking about buying a new suji as I have a 240mm takeshi saji r2 Damascus one and like the way it cuts but feel like I want more of a carbon steel workhorse suji for working on the line and also fish portioning. I have a 240mm kanetsune yanagiba in white steel aswell but I find that sometimes its a little short and delicate and it gets amazingly sharp. but if I have to leave it alone for a bit on a tray or something usually some #@*&head bumps it and gives it small micro chips and so on. also I find that although a yanagiba is great from slicing all sorts of proteins a suji will fit cutting meat a bit more. anyway I just want an excuse to buy a new suji :lol2::thumbsup:

australia

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)? sujihiki

Are you right or left handed? right handed

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle? wa handle preferably but open to western

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)? 270mm maybe 300m if its the right knife

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no) no I want carbon

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
I would prefer to spend $300-$500 but could go a little higher if its just that much better

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment? yes purely it will get a huge workout

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.) slicing cooking proteins EG beef, lamb, pork, fish. also portioning steak and fish.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
kind of replacing my takeshi saji 240mm r2 Damascus suji but also just want another suji as the saji is a great knife just a bit fancy for on the line.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.) pinch grip and pointing grip if slicing fish (more tip control)

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.) slicing for suji

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)? carbon steel decent edge retention, good fit and finish, nice handle, good balance, no flex, mostly a workhorse blade but still thin.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)? obviously the more comfortable the knife is the better same with fit and finish. I want a medium weight knife not to light but not handle heavy.

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)? not much stiction on proteins and fish

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)? 3 days-1 week.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)wooden board from boardsmith at home but unfortunately I use synethetic boards at work.
Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.) yes usually just 400-500 grit for fresh edge. then 1.2k and 5k and strop. for yanagiba 10k chosera.

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.) don't need to have tons of stuff already

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

so I have looked at masamoto ks not sure how it goes it seems ok but cant find it in 270mm

mainly looking for a simple carbon steel suji. anyway guys throw your suggestions and what you like and prefer down below to help me get a general idea of a few makers to look at. I trust your opinions

thanks jai

sajisuji240mm_zps59aef3d5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

this is my saji suji that I don't really wanna rep on the line its a bit over the top. great knife but rather something more simple and all patina'd up

I have a 270mm Sakai Takayuki Suji from their Aonikou line, which I believe is Blue 2. I enjoy the edge retention over some white steel I have tried and it still takes and keeps a great edge. Fairly inexpensive but there are definitely less expensive options like Misono swedish(dragon), Masamoto HC, Masahiro carbon,and Fujiwara FKH. All of these I have had the pleasure of using/borrowing but do not have enough experience to comment on at length.

Several of these are well below your price point but when I think carbon workhorse I think of these. $500 dollars can get you a lot of knife and I am struggling to understand why you'd pay 500 for a workhorse Suji but wouldn't use the Saji which with its edge retention seems like the perfect workhorse.

The reason I dont want to use the saji is because
1- the damascus causes slight stiction
2- I dont feel like dumping it in my tray and having a wanker knock my tray over
3- its quite handle heavy
4- I would prefer carbon steel for the easyness of sharpening.
5- I want a longer suji
6- I think im just making up excuses to justify buying another suji.

Lol

For what it's worth the KS sujihiki runs long. The 240 KS is roughly the same actual length as the average 270, 250-260mm. It can be ordered as a 270 as well, which is around 280mm actual length.

Im currently looking for a new suji myself. Ive pretty much narrowed my search to Watanabe, Heiji and Zakuri. Jons Kochi 270mm suji looks awesome. Its tall and has the perfect profile for a suji to me, if I was getting a 270mm thats the one I would grab for sure. But Im acually looking for a 240mm. I think Zakuri sujis are sleepers. They get the job done, have good steel and are very affordable.

Im currently looking for a new suji myself. Ive pretty much narrowed my search to Watanabe, Heiji and Zakuri. Jons Kochi 270mm suji looks awesome. Its tall and has the perfect profile for a suji to me, if I was getting a 270mm thats the one I would grab for sure. But Im acually looking for a 240mm. I think Zakuri sujis are sleepers. They get the job done, have good steel and are very affordable.

The op is located in Australia , shipping from USA to Australia costs 40-80 depending on the location and services the vendor using

Sent from my iPhone using Kitchen Knife Forum

The op is located in Australia , shipping from USA to Australia costs 40-80 depending on the location and services the vendor using

Not sure what your point is. If you reread the OPs original budget you will find that everything I suggested is very possible.

My point is lot of times when people are asking for recommendation vendors from USA are recommended without considering the shipping costs , when you get stuff over here it adds up 40, 60 or sometimes up to $100. Do you see the point?

On a side note I have used JKI and EE in the past , I would be buying more from them if the shipping costs were not big factor

My point is lot of times when people are asking for recommendation vendors from USA are recommended without considering the shipping costs , when you get stuff over here it adds up 40, 60 or sometimes up to $100. Do you see the point?
I see the point, as it's exactly the reason why I don't order anything from JKI or EE anymore. Gesshin 2k I got from JKI doubles in price shipped to Russia :(

On the side note, out of 3 recommendations from "labor of love", 2 can be found in other places. Zakuri on Rakuten while might not be the same Zakuri as Jon offers, but still worth looking. Watanabe and Heiji can be ordered directly from makers.

I've spoken with Jon about his shipping to Aus, and i can see his point, he's been let down by other shipping methods in the past, and cant afford to take chances. having said that, there are other options, and I've had fellow forum members forward items to me, which makes ordering from Jon much more economical to Aus. I've also ordered from EE, and while the shipping was on the high side, I recieved my shipment within 6 days!

Lol im not worried about shipping guys id happily spend more than my budget if I have to but I dont think I do that why I put a budget.

I'm funny with Sujis, I've tried heaps, and I haven't ever found one that I've loved ( until recently) but of all that I've tried, DT ITK, Kato, and Yoshihide were the ones that performed the best. My new Marko is a keeper, but its not one you can just buy off the shelf. (not that the others are)

I'm funny with Sujis, I've tried heaps, and I haven't ever found one that I've loved ( until recently) but of all that I've tried, DT ITK, Kato, and Yoshihide were the ones that performed the best. My new Marko is a keeper, but its not one you can just buy off the shelf. (not that the others are)

Kidnapping and ransom I would say.

I had been considering purchasing a Zakuri Suji or the like for some time but I ended up getting a small yanagi from metalmaster instead. It arrived only last week, hasn't had a lot of use yet but was good value for money.

i have a 240 zakuri suji and would recommend it any time!

For what it's worth the KS sujihiki runs long. The 240 KS is roughly the same actual length as the average 270, 250-260mm. It can be ordered as a 270 as well, which is around 280mm actual length.

How is the flex on the KS?

Actually I still dont get your point. Ive paid $30-40 for shipping from Japan for knives. If the knife suits the OPs need and budget I dont see what the problem is. Im still not sure why you think I didnt consider shipping costs? Maybe you had a bad experience in the past? Shipping costs can be high all over the world, not just in Australia.

As a aussie I'm very aware of the cost of shipping. On more than one occasion I've had 2 knives sent from Japan for $7 - for both.
I think that $11 has been the most expensive.
For the 2 knives I've bought from the states shipping was $35 and $40.
I've no idea how the Japanese do it, shipping is more expensive in Australia than it is from Japan.

I'm not having a go at anyone, just stating that shipping costs may be a bit more front and center for some of us aussies than our american cousins.

Have a nice day
;)

Freight to Aus or anywhere is expensive, that's just how it is, if your not happy with the freight prices just buy locally, if you want more choice with your knife purchasing you will have to pay freight, some are more than others but generally speaking you will need to pay between $50-$70 for a knife landed at your doorstep within 5-7 days, you can pay less but be prepared for a long and painful wait.

Haha thanks for the suggestions so far guys. Just remember my question was what suji you recommend not how much shipping to australia costs. Im happy to pay up to $50 extra just for shipping not included in my budget.

If you can find one gengetsu in white core or aframes and EE has v2 yoshikanes , they would be my workhorse carbon suji choices .

Back