want to borrow: green aoto or similar

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
my current finisher is a blue aoto that is around 5k grit. i would like a lower finish. have an ikarashi but is too low for gyutos so target would be 3k.
if anyone has a green aoto they could loan me would be much appreciated.

I have a natural red aoto from maxim is be willing to lend. Pm if interested

Does that mean two generous souls have lent you 2, both a red and green? Lucky guy. Interested to hear what you think.

nice smooth feedback, pretty dense stone, holds water well. leaves a very toothy 'sticky' edge, i would guess its grit to be just over 2k.

Sounds like what you need. No?

You may find you can get some different results from the green aoto as you use it more. I like to let the mud dry on the stone so the next session starts with stone material that is already broken down, then try and keep it just wet enough that there is very little mud loss. You might be able to hit your sweet spot. Just a thought.

Asterger, absolutely, 2k is too aggressive for vegetables but perfectly fine for protein, there is certainly a sweet spot for overall usefulness particularly for gyutos.

Chuck, yeah I didn't spend much time with it, only did two sessions and didn't have the patience to play around with finding the right technique cause I am a super lazy sharpener :D

Chuck, yeah I didn't spend much time with it, only did two sessions and didn't have the patience to play around with finding the right technique cause I am a super lazy sharpener :D

Then why you messing with naturals?

:justkidding:

Curious if you've tried any of Jon's soakers? 2k, 4k or synthetic aoto?

Good points above. About getting that extra 1k or so out of it, it should be possible. Trying a nagura might help as well.

When I sent that one to Daveb I sent him a small Botan too; they aren't fine, but I wonder how the combo's worked for him.

no, the naniwa green brick is synthetic and feels horrible (but leaves a pretty good edge for stainless knives)
the stone i'm referring to is a natural one.

I personally think the green brick is a fairly enjoyable stone, though I use it almost dry. Its a nice step between my 1k and Rika 5k. When its been overly soaked it turns into a mush ball and doesn't good give very response, however when almost dry its very responsive. I know this is unrelated but your comment struck me.

I personally think the green brick is a fairly enjoyable stone, though I use it almost dry. Its a nice step between my 1k and Rika 5k. When its been overly soaked it turns into a mush ball and doesn't good give very response, however when almost dry its very responsive. I know this is unrelated but your comment struck me.

Not sure why you are using anything between one and five k? I agree with panda though, least favorite stone ever...that said though I didn't try it on stainless...

Back