sharp knives and my fingers - the family edition.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jm2hill

Banned
Reaction score
Hi my ten-fingered friends, I have a story for you and pictures as well.

Yesterday evening the family and friends come over for a nice meal cooked by me. Consisting of trout, salmon, sausages and burgers. Just a good barbecue for a wednesday evening.

I use my new knives to cut everything and prepare everything and everything is going great. My sister offers to come over and help and I think why not, she's a smart girl she won't cut herself. Everything goes great and we enjoy dinner.

She decides she really likes the knives and she wants to stay around and try them out after everyone is gone. I figure no problem she's only got some cutco stuff and these are much better. We take out some tomato's onions and carrots and are going to prepare stuff for a tomato sauce and she's having a great time making stuff. Loves the knives.

Little did I forget that she has no kitchen manners. She thinks its a good idea to put the knife down without looking (a 150mm petty) well she drops right over my hand.

stitches later and 6 in the morning I am home and off to work which involves working on a computer all day, safe to say that goes well.

Doctor says (and I take it with a grain of salt she was an idiot) that there was too much blood to do an xray to check on the bone so we'll just wait to see what happens after the stitches come out.

I hope some of you can share in my pain -- but hell that didn't stop me from using my knives tonight for dinner and just to prove even with nine workable fingers I julienne vegetables and made sushi!

notes on the picture: it extends all away around to the other side as the edge curled around it.

Welcome to the club .
you have learned the first rule of knife club

That's what can happen when you make fun of peoples' Cutco knives. I bet she didn't even say, "My bad". Throb, Throb, Throb ...

Mine looks almost exactly the same! I was making fun of others knives in class, was talking and not paying attention and chopped the top of my finger instead of the parsley. Doh! The result was my new motto:

"Dull knives cut, sharp knives cut deep."

-AJ

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger. -Friedrich Nietzsche

Yeah, right...

Nietzsche obviously never cooked with your sister.

For newbies, the cutting board is the knife's friend. They never leave each other.

This is why I hate to cook around with amatuers. They are slow, get in my space, and just plain scare me to death. After 20 some years in pro kitchens I am proud to say I have only hurt myself once, and not quite so bad as your finger, jm2hill. But alas I am going over to someone's house tomorrow to cook with a few Suzy Homemakers...wish me luck, I can't bring my nice sharp knives, all thats going to be there are knives that live on glass cuttingboards.

:lol2: Glass cutting board! I remember getting one as a birthday present from my ex-girlfriend. She couldn't decifer my expression after "since you love cooking, I felt you deserve the best and prettiest"

I think the whole sharp knives are safer than blunt knives thing is ridiculously wrong in this forum. Seriously. Whoever thought of it... never used a scary sharp knife.

i was peeling shallots once, using a paring knife, dropped the shallot and went after it immediately (kinda in a rush), and i guess i forgot i had a knife in my hand cause the next thing i know blood squirted out of the side of my finger, on to the ceiling, and hit the end of a prep table six feet away. didnt feel a thing. i was sent to the hospital, no stitches at all. the doctor said it hit an arteriole or something, which must've closed right quick. he said i was lucky it was sharp, or there would've been more blood. a couple days later it was fully healed. i got a nice nike swwosh on my index finger as a souvenir. sharp knives cut deep, but heal wicked quick.

Its definitely heeled up nicely! now I actually just have stitches closing a cut that doesn't exist. I should go get them taken out.

Its very true: what doesn't kill you hurts like a b*tch. I'd rather be cut by a sharp knife then a dull knife. It can cut you deep but you will hardly feel it!

Why would you go somewhere to get the stitches out? You have a knife, don't you?

Back