Hi from Qld, Australia

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foxy

Reaction score
Hi all,
Been lurking and learning a long time and am loving the wealth of info and depth of knowledge on here.

I'm just getting into it all (at least in comparison to the knife nuts I see here!) and trying to keep the purchasing compulsion and sharpening OCD in check to something that's sensible for a keen home cook.

Currently have a Tanaka 240mm R2 Gyuto and a JCK Aogami Super Santoku, which I am finding incredible (Not sure where they rate in the scheme of things but enjoying them regardless). The rest of the collection are western style Zangers and a Furi vegetable clever (I know the Furi knives are supposed to be rubbish but I actually like the cleaver, I think I just like cleavers). I'm currently working on convincing myself that I actually need a petty. Sharpening with the edge pro, which seems to be working for me right now.

I've got a few questions I'll fire out there in the right spots - but thought this might be the right spot to ask about the search function - I've not been finding it all that user friendly. Anyone else have this issue?

Cheers all,

Tom

Welcome mate ! Where in Queensland are you?
Use googles advanced search and restrict the search to www .kitchenknifeforums. com
Then enter all the search criteria as normal.

Welcome!

Do you have the Tanaka with japanese or western handle?

Anyway, just so you know, usually your knives will multiply soon after joining.

A petty now, a gyuto later, etc.

I see, I like, I cut.

Welcome mate ! Where in Queensland are you?
Use googles advanced search and restrict the search to www .kitchenknifeforums. com
Then enter all the search criteria as normal.

Thanks Geo87,

I'm In Redcliffe, about 30 km north of brisbane. Are we neighbours?! Good tip on google search. I'll stop having fits tryin the site search and stick to this.

V1P,

Yep, it's a wa gyuto. I had no idea of the distinction when I ordered it but it seems I got one from Tanaka snr, which I believe is a good thing. Amazing knife, still shaving sharp with just the occasional ceramic steel and one minor touch up in two years of heavy home use. Ultra thin, so easy to sharpen.

And thanks to everyone for the super warm welcome and moral support on my trip into severe dependency.

Thanks Geo87,

I'm In Redcliffe, about 30 km north of brisbane. Are we neighbours?! Good tip on google search. I'll stop having fits tryin the site search and stick to this.

V1P,

Yep, it's a wa gyuto. I had no idea of the distinction when I ordered it but it seems I got one from Tanaka snr, which I believe is a good thing. Amazing knife, still shaving sharp with just the occasional ceramic steel and one minor touch up in two years of heavy home use. Ultra thin, so easy to sharpen.

And thanks to everyone for the super warm welcome and moral support on my trip into severe dependency.

Geo is right, that is the best way to search the forum.

The word around is that Tanaka senior made the better knife but I would not know for sure.

I have the same Tanaka R2 wa-gyuto as well, it is one of my main knife. It is a keeper.

Ferry

I see, I like, I cut.

I'm In Redcliffe, about 30 km north of brisbane. Are we neighbours?!.
Lol yep I live in Redcliffe as well.
That's great! If you ever want to talk knives just pm me. I'm working out at northlakes with 2 other knife nuts feel free to swing by the kitchen some time and check out all the knives :)

Oh and you'll need at least 4 pettys... Mabie 5

Back