Old Hickory 14" Bullnose

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bear1889

Reaction score
Ok, I saw one, had to have it to play with, love BBQ, thought of the possibilities (endless in my estimation). Now what? How to sharpen the thing properly?

How can I effectively sharpen the knife when I have 8 inch plates, I do not wish to purchase more. Can you sharpen on 8" inch plates? I have a wicked edge system but I think that would also be too small.

I also have a chef's choice that I do not use, but it am considering it now because of the blade length and the fact we're talking a $16 knife.

Of course I thought about sending it to Dave Martell or John at JKI for sharpening but I was afraid I might receive it back in pieces with a nasty note along the lines of don't send a knife like this again.:wink::lol2:

Not sure what you are referring to by "plates." With typical freehand sharpening stones, the length of the blade doesn't matter...though a sword might be rather challenging. I don't think a 14" blade would be any trouble.

I say get the plates out. What do you have to lose? Plates sound like the way to go. It's not like your trying to sharpen on 9 inch plates or anything. Please video the process we don't get to see eight inch plates often enough.

Very funny mucho.....Plates = DMT 8x3 diamond stones approx. 0.375 in thick, not exactly water stones I call them plates because they're thinner than stones. 14 in blade on an 8" stone is rather unbalanced. I have kind of made up my mind to sharpen it on the electric sharpener I have packed away somewhere. After all it's not like a custom or vintage blade we're talking about it's a $16 carbon ol' hickory bullnose, easily replaced.

Thanks for the input.

There shouldn't be any problem sharpening a 14" knife on your DMTs. They are the same size as a waterstone, and I sharpen a 13" yanagiba on an 8" x 3" stone easily.

Yes I have already took it to the plates or stones, but it was like sharpening a heavy Machete on a fishing hook stone. :bigeek:

:rofl2:

I'm guessing you've never seen katana sharpening done on Jnats? The size of the stone doesn't matter, it's all in the technique:O Yeah, a little pocket sized DMT would take forever to get the job done, but the job could get done.

You know clamping the blade down might be the ticket and then using the stones.

Back