Richmond Aogami Super 120mm petty knife.. any good?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archangel

Reaction score
hey anyone have experience with this Richmond laser 120 mm AS steel knife? its for my mom. Needs a knife that is small, thin, and most of all able to retain the edge the longest. Its about $150, which i will spend but was hesitant given negative reviews about the overall company and other artifex knives on the forum? any suggestions for similar or better one? is there a better steel which holds the edge longer?

thanks

I own that exact knife and love it. It's manufactured in Japan and in an entirely different league than the Artifex line, of which I have no experience. Small enough to work in hand but with the height for board work. Takes and retains a very sharp edge. (Mine is sharpened at 12 deg.) Very thin behind the edge. Excellent wa handle. I highly recommend this knife.

Cheers,

Rick

You might want to take a look at Epicurian Edge. There's a nice selection of Petty knives including an excellent Yoshikane or 2 in your price that will hold an edge. They offer discount on a lot of stuff to members

It was said not too long ago that Akifusa (PM) made of SRS115 knives have an splendid edge retentions. You can find them at EE. It should hold the edge substantially longer compared to AS.
http://www.epicedge.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=1204
Also, it's stainless so no worries about rust/patina/reactivity to food.

The Akifusa will crush any other stainless knife out there in terms of edge retention.

53367341.jpg

akifusa is such a fine choice. such a beast for the price.

hey thanks for the replies...

I think i will look into the akifusa. My mom does not want the sharpest edge bs she hand holds most small things.. bought her a santoku and gyuto before but she thinks they are too big just to cut onions, tomatoes, carrots, etc. she also didnt want something pointy where she might stab her self. Ideally i wanted like a small nakiri like 135mm or a santoku but those are hard to find in the right steel and size.

thanks again for the suggestions

Any ideas how this SRS115 compares to HAP40. Seems like Kohetsu HAP40 are priced similarly to Akifusa SRS115

From an edge retention standpoint AS is great. You may want to look at the Hiromoto AS. I have been using the 150 for a while now and the edge retention is superb.

Vai, I'd be curious how it compares to well HT Ginsanko/ginsan? Given your experience with knives, you've piqued my interest in those akifusa's.

Had a few Ginsan-ko knives... can't touch SRS-15 it isn't even close

Back