How to store a yanagiba/deba

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikael

Reaction score
Hi

I've stored my Yanagi blue#1 oiled in the saya, but it began to develop some small spots of rust. Even my Deba white#1 witch I store in oil papper began to have some small rust spots. I had the knives there for maybe 4 weeks. I'm really more of a collector and this knife will be used a couple of times a year.

How do I store them so they won't rust?

Make sure they are dried completely after use, around the handle area too as moisture collects there. Oil evenly covering all of the metal. Every now and then check the knives. Four weeks is not that long if correctly stored.

If you live in a humid climate do not store in the saya. I kept mine oiled and in the VCI paper they cane in.

I never used the knife. I bought it and got it sharpened and after that I put it in my cabinet. The sharpener oiled the blade before I got it.

I only took it out of the saya to show some friends. Maybe it's my fingers? I don't know if touching the oiled blade can make it rust?

It's a bit humid in Sweden in summer but far from the humidity that's in japan.

I never used the knife. I bought it and got it sharpened and after that I put it in my cabinet. The sharpener oiled the blade before I got it.

I only took it out of the saya to show some friends. Maybe it's my fingers? I don't know if touching the oiled blade can make it rust?

Touching with fingers could cause problems...either because there is moisture on them, or because you remove some of hte protective layer of oil where you touch. When I do this with my usuba (I use it, but probably show it more than I use it), I always add a new drop of oil and wipe the blade down.

Depends on how long you store them... I oil my blades every 3-4 months. Never touch the blade... if you do wipe it down and oil it again.

Anyone who has owned a firearm will tell you about fingerprints and blued steel.

If you touch the blade, wipe it down with an oily rag before you put it away.

So it is my fingerprints! Thanks for the information. I fixed the blade today. I washed it and oiled it again and now its back to normal. It was really light rust!

If your storing in a place with little or no circulation you may want to include a desiccant with the knives.

To expand on the gun analogy most gun safes have a dehumidifier inside because the enclosed air has some moisture content and temp changes make it want to rust things.

If your storing in a place with little or no circulation you may want to include a desiccant with the knives.

To expand on the gun analogy most gun safes have a dehumidifier inside because the enclosed air has some moisture content and temp changes make it want to rust things.

So it's not just my fingerprints that's the problem? The saya is also a bad spot for storing knives?

How about magnetic strips?

So it's not just my fingerprints that's the problem? The saya is also a bad spot for storing knives?

How about magnetic strips?

Like I said... DO NOT leave it in the saya. The saya is good to transport the knife... for storage...NO!!!

Ok, my knife didnt came with VCI paper and i cant find any place to buy. Is there any substitutes?

"It's a bit humid in Sweden" Can't imagine the ambient air having much effect but the heater might be on 11 months a year, raising indoor humidity:whistling:. Irregardless, periodic oiling, open storage, should solve problem.

Back